#7 (Ryder): His Past

I was sitting in a truck with my brother Reks. We were on our way home after our truck seemed to have a problem while driving. Somehow the fuel leaked out faster, than it should and my brother was certain that there might be something wrong with the fuel tank. We could have fixed the problem right there and then but our tools were at home, so we had to take the risk and try to drive this broken thing back to the workshop.

"This piece of junk really paid it's time, hasn't it?"

Reks brought me off my thoughts as he said this.

"Sure did, brother. I'm surprised that we can still drive with it."

"Well...That's the only thing we've got now...It's...not as good as it ever has been, huh?"

I knew, what he wanted to say and I sighed. My parents passed away several days ago due to the effects of an unknown disease.

Noone ever knew what caused it or where it came from but all I know is that it somehow messes with your brain. 

Reks noticed my sad gaze and patted me on the shoulder.

"Hey, chin up, brother. We can't change the past, so we just gotta focus on what's next."

"You're right but...it's hard not to think about it."

"I know it is...but trust me, we have to make the best out of this situation. We must stay strong...for their sake."

I nodded while still looking down before Reks caught my attention.

"Hey, check the backseat for me, will ya? I have something for you."

I looked behind me and saw a gift box with my name on it. I took it and looked at my brother in surprise.

"It's for me?"

"It has your name on it. Go on, open it."

I unwrapped the bows and opened it and saw it.

A red ninja mask.

"Do you remember the time, where we always liked playing games revolving around ninjas? I thought, that you would like to be one yourself?"

I smiled before I chuckled a bit.

"That was several years ago. And now I'm grown up, brother. I'm not a kid anymore."

"It's never too late to fulfill your childhood dreams, Ryder. You can have it. Who knows...it might be of use sometime."

"Thanks, brother. It's really cool."

"No problem. Maybe try it on and see how it looks on you."

"Hmm, no. Maybe later. I mean, we're in a rush, are we?"

"It will take a while until we get home. That is...when this thing makes it there."

"And what if it breaks down on the way?"

"Then...we'll have to push it. We didn't lift weights for nothing, did we?"

"I only did because my father wanted me to. He said it's important if you intend to repair cars and stuff later on. It also is supposed to help you resist getting hurt so easily."

"Well, stuff you do under the hood isn't as easy as you might think. That's why your arms must be trained because you have to hold them up a lot when fixing things underneath it. And you know...things can happen under there, when you don't watch out."

"It's okay. I've gotten better now. But it's sad that I can only use it for this."

"What do you mean?"