The Choosen Magician

Start from the beginning

The bird did not startle the woman as she immediately recognised the unique and familiar features of the creature.The owl's body was white but it has unusual flecks of blue plumage instead of usual black.The presence of the bird itself is strange as it was currently in the middle of summer in Ormskirk but its existence no longer puzzled Athanasia as it is one of her children's magical beasts.

More specifically,it was Arius' smaller version of his magical beast.The one her son affectionately named 'Neith'.It was probably a small division of its original body,as the bird is currently only the size of her palm.

The creature rubbed its head against her cheek, lightly tickling her with it's pristine feathers, and chirped happily before she fluttered down to her arms.Out of nowhere, the bird of prey is sandwiching an envelope between its beak obviously because of magic.

As Athanasia took the envelope and read it, the owl twitched nervously on her arm.The bird's dark blue eyes gaze nervously onto her master's mother reactions.When the blonde woman ended her reading,she sighed quietly before fondly stroking the magical beast's tiny head.

"It looks like Arius has made up his mind," muttered the woman silently. "I wonder who he got his stubbornness from.Probably his dad.I never recall to be this hardheaded years ago."

Neith simply shrugged as she began to clean her snowy feathers.Her uncaring attitude accurately resembles her eldest son's aloof nature,which made the woman smiled.

"Tell him that I'll support whatever he decided to do and to take care himself well at the palace.Try to stay low as possible,"advised Athanasia as she stroked Neith's head one last time.The tiny owl hooted before it completely disappeared.Its trace of light blue mana lightly visible as it returns to its original body.

Finally finished with her chores,the former princess put the letter in the laundry basket before heading back into her home.Inside,a man can be seen anxiously sipping a cup of tea.When the blonde woman entered his line of sight,he immediately stood up and helped her with the basket.

"Princess!"exclaimed the man. "I told you to let me help you with the chores around the house.This kind of work doesn't suits you at all."

"It's fine,sir.I have been doing this for 20 years.I have grown accustomed to it by now,"replied Athanasia casually, not minding to watch her informal language at all.She finds it easier to communicate with other people this way.

"And you,"growled the man as he glared his grey eyes to a certain red-eyed wizard. "How dare you let a princess of the empire do such a lowly servant work like doing the laundry?Are you really the infamous Magician of the Black Tower?"

Lucas returned the glare with his own from the his seat at the living room. "For your information,she was the one who insisted to do it on her own.I could easily do all the work around the house with magic but do you think it will help in laying low in this close neighbourhood?I sincerely apologised for not fulfilling your high expectations,dear sir."

"That's enough.Both of you."reprimanded Athanasia sternly.Ever since the man arrived at their house,he and Lucas always find a way to engage in verbal arguments.It has amused and took a lot of energy from her in all honesty. "Attheia and Eva are still around the house.What if they heard what you have been arguing about?I like to keep it in dark as long as I can."

"And please,my lord,"continued the woman. "I am no longer a princess.There is no need for you to call me by that title,anymore.I have neither lived or treated as a princess those years ago so I don't have any interest to start now.In fact,you are currently way more higher than me in social hierarchy as I am now merely a commoner.It was simply an obligation for me to serve you with the best hospitality I can offer you,my lord."