Episode 1: Chapter 5 - Overthrowing the Self-Imposed Throne

"Jemma?"

It has been a long time since I've called out to that name. The last time I did was when my name was called by the very same person in question. However, even prior to that our greetings became less and less familiar. Things kept happening and every greeting became increasingly awkward to the point of unbearable until we just stopped talking.

I didn't know that that was the last time I would be able to call out to that name. The next day I found myself looking at that back, wishing she would call mine but I guess we were either too embarrassed or got too cringe at the awkwardness. After what happened years ago, I guess that's how the awkwardness escalated.

Until today when I saw a girl being harassed by two Nobles. At first I hesitated. They were attracting a lot of attention but nobody moved in to help. They just stood there. It's understandable. We knew what it meant to defy a Noble. I knew all too well.

It's not that I couldn't help it. I know I have better control of my emotions. I knew that what I did was wrong and that I was going to get in big trouble once I do it. I knew that if I mess with Nobles they always mess back harder. I knew that when I take a step the people behind me will stare and say "No! It's not worth ruining your life for it."

I knew all that yet... I just couldn't help it.

I stepped forward excused myself, "Excuse me!"

And all proceeded as occurred. Thank God, Josh was there. We're neighbors so we came to school together. I went ahead of him because he was going to the bathroom until I got stuck here. He's the only one who still talks to me but I get the feeling he's just forcing himself. But thank God he was there. If he wasn't, I was about to get shot by a modified bullet from a modified gun.

But she was there. A face that I always see in the halls but never really had the courage to call out to. At first I wasn't sure. From the back, she looks like her but I thought isn't her. But, the way she fights, it was definitely her. Even if otherwise, somehow, deep in my consciousness, I probably knew. Otherwise, I wouldn't have so casually just called out to her like that.

So here we are.

"Y-yo... Long time no see." Josh stammered.

"Kyle? Josh? What are you doing here?"

"Well, we're just as surprised as you are."

I'm not sure if I should be surprised or if I should be nervous. We haven't talked to each other in a long time, even if we see each other every day. I mean, neither of us had the courage to call out to each other so things just got so awkward that we just actively ignored each other.

So just suddenly being thrown into this situation, I'm not sure if I can bear the awkwardness. I'm not even sure how Josh is casually talking to her like it was nothing. Well, he has always been neutral after what happened. After our group split up, he still remained the same so there's no reason for him to feel awkward.

"I thought you guys had transferred to Ace Academy with your brother?"

"That's what I also thought but Mom said that Ace had closed down years ago."

"What!?"

I also thought we would transfer to Ace Academy. My little sister studies there so I assumed as much. Plus, our families knew the principal of Ace Academy. But this is news to me. I didn't know that Ace Academy had closed down. Where does my sister go to school then?

"Yeah. I was shocked too. Apparently, they had some heat with a Noble and had to leave the country."

"You don't mean?"