Chapter XXIV - Doxonica II

Start from the beginning

"We have rounded up a lot of the fighters, but we still need your help," some actress named Pinz Ailoraw was saying on a channel. Wait, is she... Doxonica tried to jog her memory. Is she the one who ordered a custom-made trailer from us, or the one who got a train station built next to her mansion? "Some people have stepped up and contacted us—" the actress continued before Doxonica shrugged and changed the channel, unable to remember correctly.

There was no news of Aunt Noiry's predicament on any channel. That's not good, Doxonica thought, disappointed, as she gestured the hologram away. She had initially asked Ifer to arrange a meeting with Rik Mavis but then had decided against it. She had hoped that Aunt Noiry would kick up such a fuss about the PFTs that it would be broadcast everywhere and eventually reach Mavis — and then, he would be forced to contact Doxonica.

Suddenly, her holophone rang. In a surge of excitement, Doxonica yanked it and looked at the display. Once again, her hopes were shattered. Grandma Revana was calling.

Doxonica had been dreading her call, not least when she saw Grandma's name among the numerous missed calls. She inhaled deeply to brace herself and picked the call.

"At last! Why has your phone been busy for the last hour? I have been worried, sick! Who could you possibly have been talking to for that long? Oh, dear, please don't tell me it was that COO of yours, Melodver, or whatever — forgot that boy's name, bless his heart..."

"Ifer—"

"No, I don't care what his name is! That's precisely why I forgot it! He is the reason you have got so dull lately. I mean, you used to be so bright and intelligent!" Grandma's quivering yet firm voice began its relentless barrage. "Or were you talking to your aunt? I really don't know if that's better or worse—"

Doxonica struggled to find a pause and interrupted, "I just woke up, Grandma!"

Doxonica heard a deep sigh on the other end. "Ah, not only does my honeybunch now sneak off to other planets without telling me, but she lies to my face as well. It's like I don't know you anymore, honeybun."

"But..." Doxonica tried to protest but then realized what must have happened. "I seem to have missed a lot of calls, Grandma. Perhaps, you were calling at the same time other people were. Also, I couldn't lie to your face even if I wanted to — you have your back camera on."

"Oh," Grandma exclaimed. "Stupid phone."

Doxonica waited as the hologram emanating from her phone changed from a view of Grandma's feet on her bed to Grandma's face.

Grandma had her graying hair in a bun, and although right now, her twinkling, brown eyes had little bags under them, even at this age, Grandma looked radiant and sprightly.

"So, tell me, honeybunch. What's going on? Noiry called me earlier. From all the noise she made, I gathered she accused you of wrecking her train. Is that true, honey?" Grandma inquired.

"I can't talk about these things on the phone, Grandma," Doxonica replied hesitantly. "And well, she did burn down my train," she added and let her words hang.

"And what's all this about going to Karomoz? I only found out from Horvanfer. You trust your COO more than your grandma?" Grandma asked, with a hint of disappointment in her tone.

"Of course not, Grandma," Doxonica replied instantly. "I just knew that if I told you, you wouldn't let me go."

"You bet I wouldn't!" Grandma said firmly. "So, why did you go to Karomoz?"

"To talk to Mavis," Doxonica replied as she walked over to sit on the sofa. "I need him to acquire more PFTs."

"Oh," Grandma said, again with a touch of disappointment. "I thought..." she said before trailing off.