Chapter 14: Prom

November 21, 6:21 PM:

Click.

Click.

"Wow, baby," Goo whistled, donning a smirk as she descended from the stairs, her heels clicking against the floor.

Her dress flowed behind her as she made it to the last step, smiling shyly as she greeted him with a bow. Her eyes glistened in the dim lighting, shining so bright they could've lit up a whole room with their excitement. That smile alone made it all the more better.

"You look great, kid," he crooned, pulling her waist close to him as she beamed up at him, "What time is the party?"

"Seven!"

"Great! We're arriving by eight."

"Nani."

"When you look this good, kid, you're meant to show up late. Now, walk slowly, kid."

The scenery zoomed by as Xian sat inside the car, feeling the breeze of the air-con on her cold skin as colourful billboards came in flashes, and they sped through the city Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia. Tall buildings stood all around them, luminescent with silver and golden specks to match the stars in the sky, as the cars on the bustling highways turned on their lights and the city came to light with the buzz of nightlife. In the distance, three buildings stood out to her the most, the tallest, and a pair of twin towers that towered over the rest, glowing brighter than any structure in the vicinity.

Her eyes widened in awe at her beautiful country, and she was hit with a bout of nostalgia. When was the last time she came to the city? Not in years. She'd been so caught up with schoolwork and petty drama to remember it even existed.

Her view was taken away, obstructed by trees until she could see it no more and she let out a breath she hadn't known she'd been holding. 

They drove further, winding through those same buildings but this time, up close, until they ascended up a small hill to reach the base of a golden hotel, bathed in amber light. The rush of the fountains grew louder as she opened the door, letting her heels tap against the dry road as her dress pooled to the floor.

She gathered her long train delicately as Goo leaned forward to shut the door.

"I'll pick you up at twelve. Have fun, kid!"

He threw her a wink through the window, and she smiled at him gratefully. She stared up at the tall building as she heard the skid of the wheels, hearing him drive away. She turned around unsurely, taking a deep breath as she took a step forward, telling herself there was no going back.

Her heels clicked against the chiselled steps, feeling the wind caress her hair as her dress flowed behind her, softer than water as she climbed up the grand stairs. Her heart raced inside her chest as she placed her hand on the door handle.

And she gave it a light push.

The party came to a stop as students in ball gowns and dress suits turned, and they couldn't help but stare at the beautiful latecomer. Her dress flowed to the ground, pooling like where the edge of the waterfall met the river as it glistened with each step of descent, in colours that matched the feminine blush on her cheeks and the tender curve of her lip. Hidden gems twinkled beneath layers of tulle, as if someone had hand-picked stars from the night sky and sewn them into the mere fabrics of her gown. Their mouths hung ajar as she made her way towards them, following the curve of her womanly figure traced by delicate appliqués; they seemed to blend into her skin like one, softer than petals of a budding rose.