The Start of Athena

As I suspected, the inside of the temple was deserted. "Knew we were at the wrong place" I muttered.

"Ah, but Tory, you are not." Said a voice behind me

I whirled around "what the... who's there?"

"Someone who has wanted to meet you for a very long time" said the voice. And then the voice separated from the shadows to reveal a beautiful woman. Her hair was jet black and woven into little braids all around her head. Her face was angular but feminine, fierce yet beautiful. And her eyes were a shade of grey only found in the most precious of metals, a blend of every shade from silver to storm cloud grey. "My name is Athena Olympus" said the woman, "and in truth, I am your biological mother"

My jaw dropped. I swear it did. This, was my mum? She had to be joking, my mum was dead!

"I'm afraid you've got it wrong. My mother was Natalie Baxter, and she died when I was 6 and a half years old... so you can't be my mum. I remember my parents"

"Natalie and John were your surrogate human parents. Though you do share some of your DNA with them, most of it came from the Gods - mainly me. Your purpose from the very moment you were conceived was to lead the next generation of humans as a Greek Deity, the death of your parents tragic and unavoidable. We didn't see it coming - the fates did not inform us of their plans."

"Okay, so you're my Goddess mum, and Natalie and John were my other mum and dad. I can deal with that. But, I was sent here to live here forever. Where is everyone? All those years of nightmares could not have simply wound up with me having an extra parent. I'm stunned and everything, but this whole Mythology thing is sort of starting to make sense to me. But it doesn't make me a Goddess, does it? That's why I was sent here. But there's no one here but us! Where are the rest of my 'generation' as you put it?"

"Your rambling is refreshing child. I forget how humans are not rational with their speech, as us Gods most often are. Yes, you are correct in thinking you will be here forever, with limited contact with the human world, but you are not alone. You are the last of our Twelve Olympians to arrive, and we have found nearly every other deity that is out there. So you are definitely not alone here."

I threw my hand out and indicated the empty temple "But there is no one here!" I said through gritted teeth

Athena laughed. Despite her frustrating me to the high Heavens, I was still struck dumb by her laugh. It was the laugh of an Angel, pealing bells. It was youthful and innocent, which was definitely not what I expected from the Goddess of Wisdom, War and Justice. "Oh my poor child" she laughed "You did not honestly think you would be living in a temple did you?"

I scowled at the floor. "I was delivered here. Where else did you expect me to think I would live? Mount Olympus?"

"No child, you are right, it is not right to laugh. And in a moment I will take you to your new home. But first I would like to talk to you, get to know you. After all, you are my daughter" Athena smiled, and I could see a trace of pride in her smile

"Okay, what would you like to know?" This was a surreal experience for me, it's not every day you leave home to move to Greece and end up meeting your real Mum, who is actually the Goddess Athena.

"What was the last thing you learnt in Greek Mythology?"

"Um, the decline of Greek Mythology as a religion, and the start of Christianity"

"And do you realise that this is now your job?"

"My job?"

"To revert the good people of Greece back to the old ways. We -including you - will all die if they don't believe. This is why you were born, why you are here now. It is yours, and every other Olympian in this establishment's job to make Greece Greek again. The spread of Christianity is fuelling God's power and weakening all the rest of us to next to nothing. We could become mortal, which means instant death for us. Gods are not meant to be mortal. We need to regain the balance of power, and Greece is our source of power."

Athena looked like she was about to cry, but I was confused. "Why do you need a second generation of Gods then? Surely you could do it? You still have power don't you?"

Athena smiled at me "Our powers are weakening, as they have passed on to you. You and the rest of the second generation are far more powerful than we are. That is why we need you."

"But who out of all of us asked for this? Yesterday I was trying to get over a freaky nightmare and trying to pass all my A-Levels so I can go to Uni. I don't want to save the fricking world! What's in it for me anyway? I've never benefitted from being a demi-God before."

"What's in it for you? Status as a permanent God of course! You will be Athena"

"But I thought this was to save you and the original Gods?"

"It is child" Athena sounded exasperated, like I was a toddler who was asking her Mother the most obvious of questions "But in a way, you are me and I am you. I do not expect you to understand it now, before you are trained, but one day you will understand, and that will be the day you will see me again properly."

"So I'm going to be alone again? Aren't you meant to guide me, like you did with Perseus and the others?"

"My dear child, I will be with you wherever you go, in your dreams and visions, guiding you. You will never be alone, apart from when you wish to be of course. Plus you will have your new family. You may feel alienated now, but I promise you, this will be easier than you think. You will adjust to this life very well child. After all, you are my daughter, my sweet child Tory. Soon to be the Goddess of Wisdom, Courage, Inspiration, Civilization, Law and Justice, Just Warfare, Mathematics, Strength, Strategy, The Arts, Crafts and Skill. I am very proud of you."

"Thank you Athena. So do I get to see my new home now?"

"Yes. If you'll follow me..."

Athena set off at a brisk walk to the other side of the Temple and made an offering at the alter that stood at the bottom of the huge room. "I have brought Tory Marie Baxter, Athena Olympus incarnate for you"

In reply, the alter split in half to reveal a huge steel lift. "Uh, what?!" I exclaimed, looking from Athena to the lift.

"I told you that you were in the right place, didn't I child" Athena smirked and indicated for me to step into the lift.

I picked up my suitcase and stepped into the mirrored car. My palms had begun to sweat and my breathing hitched. What if none of the other Deities liked me? What if I sucked at being a Goddess? What if I'd imagined my mystery guy? What if I was alone forever?? Athena pressed the down button and I held my breath. There was no turning back now...

--------

a/n Woop, managed to get it all done and dusted! Still no comments about the characters, but I'll throw in the 'Grown-Up' Athena in there anyway. Also I was wondering if one of my wonderful readers could design me a new cover? I made this one myself and I don't like it anymore.

So, as usual, fan/vote/comment etc,etc, and I'll upload asap!

Dizzie xox