Chapter 43: Reunited (Malec)

Start from the beginning

"I'm coming Arrowheart!" Sparkpaw called out to him.

True to her word, the ginger apprentice was making a mad dash towards him, paws thrumming over the wet earth. With the appearance of the water snake, the mostly frozen river had been broken up. There were chunks of ice littering the ground like white rocks beneath an alabaster moon. They lacked color but kept their deep chill. Some cats who had fallen in the river were fighting with chattering teeth and shaking limbs. Frondleap and Ratchet were on opposite sides of the battlefield at this point. It was good to see the tabby tom was alright, even if Arrowheart had some stipulations about him after what he had done to Dawnmist.

"Be careful!" He yelled at her when she nearly slipped. Sparkpaw nodded and made the rest of the way over, albeit at a slightly slower pace. The river water lapped at the ground hungrily, waiting to drag in its next victim.

"What can I do to help?" Sparkpaw asked once she had reached him.

Arrowheart took in her frazzled state, surprised by the light coating of blood on her paws. He hadn't realized she had time to join the fighting while helping Dawnmist. A part of him had hoped to keep her away from such an atrocious battle. But of course life had other plans. Most of the battle was leveling out now. Goldenclaw was circling off against Frostfang, Alderpaw behind them looking worse for wear. It appeared that the Circle leader had done what he had set out to do with this venture. There were dead Downworlders lying on the ground, a mix of warlocks and werecats caught in the crossfire.

"Remember the fearless rune?"

"Yeah, what about it?" Sparkpaw seemed to come to the realization a second later. "Wait! You can't be serious! Putting that rune on is super dangerous! Remember how tired you were after using it last time?" Ginger fur was fluffed up, whether in bewilderment or worry he could not tell.

Arrowheart rested his tail tip along her flank. Running it down fluffed fur was the best he could do to calm her on such short notice. "It'll be okay Sparkpaw. I have Clearstar helping me."

"But, but that might not be enough! What if something bad happens!? Can't we find another way?"

He sighed. "I don't have plans for everything, but this isn't something we have time to ponder over. If this snake is left to roam free it will just continue to kill the innocents and we can't let that happen. So please help me Sparkpaw."

Green eyes watered. "But I . . . But I . . ."

And then a new voice joined them, amongst the yowling introduction of new cats coming to the fight. Blossomstar and the other clan leaders were on the horizon, coming to clash against the demonic animals and Circle members. Patchfur was standing before Arrowheart and Sparkpaw, smiling at him with a grin that did things to his stomach. Butterflies flapped in his rib cage eagerly as they touched noses. It was so easy, being with Patchfur. The sense of immense comfort the other tom's presence provided was felt immediately.

"It'll be okay Sparkpaw, because I'll be here to help him," Patchfur said. His words worked wonders in alleviating the stress in the young she-cat's eyes. Carefully, a stele was summoned. Goosebumps trailed down his shoulder as Sparkpaw traced over where the faded rune would be on his skin. He felt the flare of activation and then the world changed.

****Goldenclaw's POV****

A smirk plastered on his muzzle as he watched Arrowheart and Patchfur working together with Clearstar to tag team the massive snake back into the river. There was something extra dangerous about his parabatai's movements as he attacked with claws unsheathed. Blood littered the ground everywhere, the metallic stink of it mixed with the scent of nasty ichor to make him gag internally.