Encounter in the Woods

Start from the beginning

She managed to get up several more limbs and turned to see where the lizard was. It had stopped at the base of the tree and looked like it had tried to reach up for her. When it realized she was out of reach, it opened its mouth to blast her once again. She panicked when she realized she didn't have anywhere to run, and she was still within range of the attack. She grabbed another limb near her head to try and scramble out of the way when it gave and broke off under her weight. At the unexpected loss of support, she found herself falling back towards the waiting monster. She still seemed to have luck on her side when she landed right on top of it and managed to both break her fall and stop the monster from attacking.

Her landing managed to daze the monster, but it hadn't done any favors for Kris either. When she landed, the monster's mouth had been opened, and her left arm had scraped painfully across the fangs. She was only lucky the beast hadn't bitten down at the same time. One of her ankles had been twisted in the fall as well, but it still managed to hold her weight, even if it was screaming at her.

She managed to make it to her feet before the monster did, luckily. She knew running was no longer an option, so she grabbed the limb that had fallen with her. It wasn't much, but it had to be better than nothing. Once she had it in her hands, she was surprised to find that it felt familiar, or at least like she had used something similar before. It was a weird feeling, almost like a memory, but not quite. She was further surprised when the monster finally stood and lunged for her, and her body seemed to know exactly how to handle the makeshift staff.

When it got close enough, she spun on her good ankle and landed a blow against the side of the monster's head that knocked it back. By the time it stood and faced her again, she was already in position for another strike. It was angry by that time and lunged at her while preparing for another breath attack. She couldn't dodge it, so she ran towards it, and the breath passed over her. At the same time, she brought the staff around again and managed to daze the creature once more. While it was down, she was close enough that she could strike it again before it had a chance to get up. The thick branch she had been using broke on impact, but she also heard the sickening sound of the beast's skull cracking.

She watched it twitch for a moment before it went still. She didn't want to take any chances, though, so she backed up slowly and grabbed the larger portion of the branch that had fallen. It was more like a little club by that point, but she felt better with something in her hands.

She jumped when she heard crashing through the underbrush again, but when she saw it was Zack with several of the men from the village, she fell onto her bottom. Her knees suddenly felt like jelly and couldn't seem to handle her weight. Zack was by her side in an instant and had his canteen out to help clean her arm. Her attention was drawn by one of the village councilmen that had come with the group. His voice was slightly hard when he spoke. "I'm glad to see that you're both alright, but how did you manage to handle this thing by yourself?" He paused when he saw the limb she still held in one hand. "You fought with a stick?"

She tried to answer him, but she found that her tongue felt like it was taking up too much room in her mouth suddenly, and her eyesight was getting blurry. She managed to get something out, but it was slurred. "I'm not sure how, but it felt familiar."

That was all she could manage before she started swaying, even in her seated position. When she nearly fell, Zack realized that the cut he had just cleaned, must have been poisoned as well. He turned to the men with wide eyes. "We need an antidote! Does anyone have one?"

One of the other men that had been inspecting the downed animal, and verifying it was dead, hurried over at his yell. "Here. It looks like it bit her. It wouldn't have been so bad otherwise, but this should help enough that she'll be fine with rest."

Zack didn't waste any time in leaning her back and tilting her head so that the antidote would go down. She had just enough presence of mind to swallow. Once that was down, he laid her back and looked her over nervously for any other injuries that might have been missed. He didn't get far in his inspection before he was interrupted by the councilman. "Zack, why don't you accompany the men back with that gagighandi. You know, one that size will fetch you at least 200 gil with the merchant. You take care of that, and I'll take Kris back to your house."

Zack looked like he wanted to argue with the man, but he didn't say anything right away. When the man realized he was wavering, he chuckled and spoke again. "Do you think I can't get her there by myself? Don't worry so much. Besides, it's obvious that she is made of pretty stern stuff. She's just out because of the poison. It'll be out of her system by the time we make it back, and she'll be fine with some rest. Since she can't take the monster to the merchant, you'll have to. Although, I would advise you to split a little bit of your profit with the men that are helping you."

At his words, Zack finally perked up again, although it was easy to see he was still worried. "Alright. I'll make sure it's waiting for her when she wakes up. And don't worry, you know I would never forget to repay someone that helps me! We got this!"

His grin made the gathered men laugh as he rushed over to help them rig a way to drag it back to town. Once he was busy, the councilman picked Kris up. He headed straight for town, but his frown didn't go away. As personable as the girl was, the fact that she could handle taking down a monster nearly twice her size made all the questions that came up at her arrival seem much more valid.