Enlightenment

Chapter Four: Enlightenment

And Aeacus spoke unto the Myrmidons. "Behold. My creation is complete. I will now ascend to the Heavens and prepare a place for you at My table. But do not seek Me in the stars. Cast not thine eyes upwards at the sky but inwardly to your souls."

From The Book of Origins. Chapter 11: Verses 23-24

Daybreak arrived and, leaving the ruins behind, the party once again headed along the riverbank in the direction of the three peaks. All members were accounted for, meaning that Reverend Colonel Sarpedon had not picked off anyone during the night. Consensus was now erring toward the opinion that he was returning to the ship to free his troops, but that did not mean that they had to abandon vigilance. After all, many still believed that there was a possibility of attack by the First Ones. 

The journey was indeed steep and harsh underfoot. Aletheia could not help but empathise with Thanatos and his fellow survivors who, weak and malnourished, had made this trek initially. She glanced towards her spouse who smiled back, before returning to the conversation he was having with Peleus - probably recounting the same story he had told her the previous night.

Cardinal Boreas was in a sombre mood and deep in reflective thoughts. His arms were no longer bound and a single guard was all that stood in the way of freedom. He had no intention of fleeing, however. His faith had been rocked and now his duplicity, along with that of the Church, had been exposed for all to see.

They rested briefly at midday but Thanatos was eager to press on. His camp offered a great vantage point and, if Sarpedon were planning an ambush, any guerilla tactics would be easier to counter from there. Procrastination was not wise either, if he had taken the other course of action and headed back to the beach. The fate of the earlier expedition had reminded them that he might just as easily abandon them should he secure control of the ship.

It was mid afternoon before they reached the foot of the mountain that Peleus had named Mintaka. Trees gave way to the lushness of a plain that stretched ahead and, beyond, lay a narrow valley that seemed to have eaten into the mountainside. This had been the place that Thanatos had called home through the loneliness of two summers yet he would not be sad to see the back of it.

Nearing the valley, a welcome party emerged, armed in case this was something more sinister than a rescue. They soon lowered their weapons, however, as Loxo ran towards them and excitedly conveyed the good news. A signal of all clear was conveyed and the remaining castaways emerged from their caves, rushing to greet the newcomers and hugging whoever they reached first.

Thanatos allowed the members of his community a brief time to bask in their jubilation but knew that time was of the essence, if they were not to be stranded again. The more he had learnt of the Reverend Colonel, the more he believed that he would be capable of seizing control of the ship. He did not think that a soldier with his tactical reputation would consider returning to do battle. Not when exile would be a far easier and more fitting punishment against those who had betrayed him.

He instructed the castaways to gather what they could carry and explained that they would be leaving shortly. A cheer went up and his colleagues scurried off to collect what they could. Then, turning to Peleus and with the same mischievous look in his eye that the Professor remembered so well, explained that he had one more thing to show him before they left.

He pointed to a hillock on the edge of the meadow and suggested that Cardinal Boreas might care to join them there also. Peleus had no objections but Reverend Captain Ceisus insisted he accompany them, to keep an eye on the prisoner. Aletheia was not entirely convinced that the sailor's own curiosity was not actually behind the request.