Discovery

Chapter Two: Discovery

The vengeance of Aeacus was swift and forthright. The First Ones were cast from Thessaly and banished to the Northern Lands. And Aeacus spoke unto the Myrmidons and said: "Fear not My children. Your strength of faith will keep the First Ones from the promised land of Thessaly. For, as water protects, so shall they punish."

From The Book of Origins. Chapter 3: Verses 22-24

The tortured strains of the ship's timbers did nothing to allay Peleus' dislike of the ocean. He had always said that if Aeacus had intended Myrmidons to traverse the waters, He would have given them gills. The nausea he felt invoked memories of his first expedition to the Forbidden Land, all those summers ago.

He rarely left his cabin, sensing a hostility from the crew that had passed from the Thiotan Guards like an infection. He had his meals brought to him and whiled away the hours transcribing his original maps and charts from the depths of his mind to the papyrus sheets he had been provided with. It had been such a shame that his original work had been labelled heretic and so publicly destroyed when he had returned to Thessaly after his first voyage. 

His thoughts were interrupted by a rapping on his cabin door. He checked his time-piece. It was too early for his evening meal to be delivered.

"Heretic. Your presence is required by the Reverend Captain on the upper deck." Peleus recognised the voice as that of Midshipman Cleric Danaus, a particularly belligerent member of the crew.

"Tell the Reverend Captain I will be with him shortly." Peleus eased himself from his chair and reached for a tunic. Despite the onset of summer, the climate was getting increasingly cold the further north they sailed. It was almost, he speculated, as if it was winter in the Northern Lands while it was summer in the South.

He gently rolled the papyrus map he had been working on into a tube and placed it carefully in a carry-sack. He then placed the sack beneath his bunk and covered it with the blanket he had shrouded him during the chilly nights at sea. A heightened sense of caution meant he would take every precaution necessary.

The midshipman was still waiting when Pelues stepped from his cabin. Although he technically had the freedom of the ship, it still seemed like he was under house arrest at times. Still, there was no need to incite further hostility, so Pelues smiled cordially at his crew mate and offered his unreciprocated pleasantries.

He ascended the ship's ladder and found himself standing in the afternoon sunshine. A cold wind slapped him across the face and the salty smell of the ocean filled his lungs. A bustle of activity was taking place at the mast, as adjustments were made to the sails, and Peleus spotted the Captain, looking out over the horizon through a copper-coloured spyglass.

A disgruntled harrumph emanated from behind him and Peleus realised that he had left the midshipman precariously perched halfway up the ship's ladder. He smiled to himself before stepping aside, certain that the motion of the ship wasn't sufficient to cause the body-check he received as the crew member barged passed. It was almost enough to make him long for exile again but he was resolute that he would not let his antagonists get the better of him.

Aletheia appeared from the stern of the ship and offered a rare smile that vanished as quickly as it had appeared. Despite her affection and allegiance, she still had a facade to keep up.

"The Reverend Captain has spotted land and requests your presence," she said in the mono-toned voice so common amongst the indoctrinated.

Peleus followed her to the starboard side of the ship where he was greeted, just as nonchalantly, by the Captain. He lowered his spyglass and announced that they would shortly be making landfall and the Professor's experience would be appreciated.