FOUR

Just as the bell rang, Amajiki tried to slip discreetly back into the classroom

Just as the bell rang, Amajiki tried to slip discreetly back into the classroom. Of course, his friends had been on hyperalert from the moment he disappeared and as soon as the familar nest of indigo entered the line of sight, he didn't stand a chance.

"TAMAKIIIII" Nejire ran at Amajiki, flinging her arms around him and Mirio hot on her tail. "Where were you?  We looked everywhere! You had us worried sick!"

Amajiki gulped, shuffling his feet. "I...it's nothing. I just didn't feel well."

Mirio frowned, staring at Amajiki with narrowed eyes, not buying it for a second. "Where's your bento? What about your quirk? We've physical training tomorrow you know, don't tell me you didn't eat!!"

Amajiki looked at his feet, hiding his eyes with his hair. "I-I did. I forgot to bring lunch today but Y-Y/n brought me some food from the cafeteria. They didn't give me a choice..."

"Oh my god, that's adorable!!" Nejire jumped up and down excitedly, fit to burst. "So, what's being friends with Y/n-chan like?"

A dust of light pink flourished on his cheeks. "I-i-it's okay, I guess..."

Nejire squealed and Mirio began grinning uncontrollably, both ecstatic. "Ha! He admits it! They're friends!"

"Wait, that's not what I—"

"Awww, Amajiki-kun!" Y/n said appearing in the doorway, a heartwarming grin spreading from one ear to the next.

Amajiki averted his eyes at the sight, glancing wistful at the wall. "Too bright." He murmured.

Y/n, who had now joined them standing beside Amajiki's desk, tilted their head. "Hmm?" They gasped suddenly. "Say, if we're friends, does that mean I get a hug too?"

Amajiki's blush deepened just at the thought, the rosy red reaching the tips of his ears. "Wait uh–"

"Of course Y/n!" In complete sync, Mirio and Nejire grabbed Amajiki's shoulders and shoved him, the timid boy flying head first into Y/n's arms.

Y/n stumbled backwards, their embrace tightening around Amajiki. Y/n's eyes widened as they failed to steady their feet and they could feel the ground rapidly approaching beneath them. They clenched their eyes shut.

Yet, the impact never came.

They hesitantly opened them and their breath was swept clean away. All they could see was Amajiki's dark pupils staring deep into them.

They had glistening flecks she hadn't noticed before, the luminous pool of midnight purple—or was it deep blue? they seemed to swirl together— sparkling like crystal sea under scorching sunshine rays. His brow was creased, but other than that, he looked breathtakingly at peace.

Y/n bit their lip, only now realizing that there was an arm wrapped around their back, the other carefully cushioning their head, and a forehead pressed against theirs.

Amajiki's hair was no longer covering his face like usual, wheater that was for better or for worse, they couldn't tell.

Y/n broke the silence, unable to move their gaze. "You have something in your hair, umm... Do you want me to get it out?"

"Y-y-yes." Amajiki said, so quietly they barely heard. Y/n gingerly lifted a hand and ran their fingers though a stray bunch of hair, removing the dust in the process as they weaved through his soft strands of fluff.

Very very slowly, the two separated and stood, the weight of their suggestive position crashing down as both faces flushed deeply. Their lines of sight met one more time before both looked aside, embarrassed.

The rest of the class was speechless, Mirio and Nejire friends in particular. "Are we just gonna pretend that didn't happen?!"