THREE

The late afternoon sun shone in from the tall window down the hall, gently illuminating the silent and pristine modern corridors of the school with a hue of yellow

Silent, that is, besides the soft thud of a young student's footsteps and the sloshing of liquid inside the water bottle they was gripping. You skidded around another corner, anxietys heightening with each step.

Lips pursed, you slipped into the stairwell, taking the steps two at a time. The bell was due to ring any minute but you hadn't seen hide nor hair of a certain someone all break and were only getting more and more concerned.

You sped down flight after flight, preparing to fly down another and quickly stopped yourself, almost falling to your doom in the process. A glimpse of deep midnight hair had caught your peripheral vision and you felt a weight lift off your shoulders, instantly relieved.

At least, momentarily. Amajiki was standing in the corner, hunched over against the wall and most importantly, a teary frown that made your heart break apart just a little.

"Finally...I...found you." You huffed, slumping against the wall, out of breath from running all over campus like a headless chicken. Nejire's description, not yours. She wasn't wrong though.

Amajiki turned his head to the side and took in your disheveled appearance. His frown deepened. "Y...Y/n, what are you doing here?"

"I came to find you! Lunch is almost over and no one's seen you anywhere. Everyone was so worried." You blew loudly through your nose, averting your gaze to the ceiling. "I-I was so worried."

Amajiki flinched, clearly startled but you couldn't understand why. He anxiously fiddled with his hands. "Oh..."

"Say, what's the matter?" You took a step closer, concern written all over your face. You wanted to reach out and hold him but remembering his words from this morning you couldn't do it.

"I-I forgot to make my lunch this morning and well..." He held out his hand and an adorable lush green sapling appeared, struggling to keep growing. "I can't even use my quirk properly today because of it. I'm a failure."

Gnawing your bottom lip you were flooded with guilt. You couldn't help but feel that you were responsible. You had kept him prisoner in your embrace, after all.

Pondering for just a split second, a determined smirk crossed your face. Suddenly you tossed the bottle of water you were holding to Amajiki, which he clumsily caught. You gave his head a gentle pat as you spun around and began to hurry back up the stairs.

Amajiki's indigo eyes followed your retreating body, bewildered. "Wait, w-where are you going?"

You hollered over your shoulder, grinning from ear to ear as you continued to sprint, your soft h/c locks bouncing gracefully. His heart skipped a beat. "Drink up! I'll be back with something from the cafeteria asap!"

"Y-you don't have to do that!" Amajiki called after you but he knew you were long gone. A hand ghosting over where you touched the top of his head, Amajiki smiled softly to himself.

Maybe being friends with you wouldn't be half bad.