Issues - Part 2 (Valeska)

Start from the beginning

I didn't realize I was staring at him until he spoke, "See something ya like?"  I felt his fingertips dig into the side of my hip.

Before I could respond, the ringmaster gave his cue for everyone involved in the final act to come out, so I pushed Jerome away from me and lead the elephants out.

Since my job was to simply walk the elephants around to where they needed to go, I put on my best fake smile and scanned the crowd as I walked - just as I did for each and every show we did.

During one of their tricks, I stood in place and continued to scan the crowd. Eventually, my eyes landed on a guy that really stuck out of the crowd. Most everyone in the stands were wearing white or some type of color, but he wore mostly black. I was far from where he was seated, so I couldn't make out any of his features, but it definitely looked like he was looking at me.  I turned around, just for a second, to see if there was anything going on behind me.

Nothing.

When I was facing forward again, it seemed he was still looking at me and I felt a sudden wave of self-consciousness flow over me, so I averted my gaze. However, it was hard to keep from stealing glances at him. My curiosity was bubbling.

The ringmaster gave another cue, signaling that it was time for the final trick, but I was supposed to walk the elephants around the ring first. This would give me the perfect chance to see this guy up close.

So, I gently tugged at the ropes and began walking the elephants around the edge of the circle. People were clapping and calling out the elephants, like they had never seen one before, but the mysterious guy stayed silent and still. Just watching me. I knew he was watching  me because his eyes were moving along with me, keeping me in their sights.  His constant gaze slowly built up an imaginary pressure on my head. My head felt heavy and I was tempted to look down at the ground to relieve the overwhelming feeling of it, but my curiosity was fighting back, forcing me to keep my head up.

Once I was directly in front of where he was seated, his mouth curved slightly into a smile as he lifted his right hand up just enough to give me a small wave.

And from this distance, I could actually make out his features.  Though his outfit choice made him stand put in the group, his looks definitely fell in line with everyone around him. He was beautiful. He had short black hair, chocolate brown eyes, and sharp facial features that lloked as if they were chiseled by a Greek sculptor.

His friendly gesture and undeniably good looks caused heat to rise to my cheeks and I finally forced myself to look down as I walked past him until he was no longer in my sight. And I avoided my gaze from him for the rest of the show.

Once the show was over, I took the elephants outside so that I could take off their little costume pieces, clean them and feed them. 

I didn't get much done before the elephant keeper called for my attention, "Y/N!  This gentleman paid for a close up view of the girls, so be a dear and introduce them!"

When I looked up from what I was going, I saw that the gentleman the elephant keeper spoke of was the guy from the crowd. The one that smiled and waved at me. I immediately felt heat rise to me cheeks once again.  I was glad the lighting out here wasn't too great because it would help conceal  the redness of my cheeks.

What is he doing here?

However, it seemed my face still betrayed me, giving away my feelings of embarrassment at the sight of him, because he let out a soft chuckle, "Hello. I do hope I'm not bothering you."

I took in a deep breath and exhaled sharply, hoping to release my feelings of embarrassment, "No, not at all. Just getting them ready for bed."

He stuck his hands in his pant pockets, "You were great out there. Definitely my favorite part of the show."