1- The Discovery

~This story is not only going to be different than anything I've previously written, but it will be very different from most stories in general. Lina is brash and daring and doesn't care that what she wants might not be what is necessarily right. I wanted to create a character that pushes the boundaries of what is right and wrong and instead does whatever she can to achieve her goals, never once apologizing for it. I hope you'll learn to love who she is just as I have and sit back and enjoy this story that will be anything but cliché.~
-Lauren
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Lina! Lina!"

My name echoes throughout the house as I hear pounding footsteps on the hard wood floor.

I frantically look around and decide to bolt up the stairs that lead to the attic. It's somewhere I haven't been for years, but it should be a good place of concealment until this blows over.

"Erlina! Come out now so we can talk!"

I flinch as my father's voice gets closer and closer to the stairs I just fled up moments ago. I close the attic door as quietly as I can and am bathed in darkness. Clenching my eyes tightly and opening them back up, I try to adjust my vision more quickly to the utter blackness of my family's attic.

I guess you're probably wondering why I'm running from my father by now. It's not something I'm particularly proud of so forgive me if I'm less than forthcoming about the situation. Let's just say that my time away at college was not really an educating one in way of studying. Being a twenty-one year old screw-up wasn't my dream for myself let alone what my parents wanted. When I failed out of most of my classes, I packed up my stuff and came home. Now I'm facing the consequences. It isn't that I'm dumb or anything. I got good grades in high school and even graduated with honors, but I've always known I've never wanted a normal life. My parents may be okay with it, but I'm not.

A bang on the wall downstairs interrupts my thoughts, making me jump. My dad must have lost his temper. I feel more than hear my mother's soft murmur of reassurance as she comforts my father. I sigh deeply and close my eyes again. I don't want to hurt them like this, but I knew it had to be done.

Soon, I hear nothing but my own breathing and decide it's okay to move. My eyes are now pretty adjusted to the dark, but I still don't see the warped floor board sticking up beside me. As soon as my bare foot connects with the object, I tumble into the stacked boxes on the right side of the attic. Pain shoots up my foot and a muffled groan slips through my lips as I lay sprawled on the floor.

After lying there for a few minutes, I try to stand up again but to no avail. My ankle is definitely sprained or twisted. Adjusting myself to a sitting position, I feel something brush up against my leg. My eyes can't quite make out what it is, but it looks long and quite sharp on one end. Touching it gently, I come to the conclusion that it's made of some type of really smooth wood. It must have fallen out of one of the boxes I landed on. Reaching around for my vanished phone, I find it a few feet away and turn on the flashlight. Objects are scattered on the ground around me.

"What is all this?" My voice sounds hollow as I stare down at the wooden thing I felt before.

I gingerly stand up on one leg and reach for the lone light bulb and it's cord above me. The light hurts my eyes, but is necessary to see what I fell on. As soon as I saw those objects, I knew something was off. Ever since I was a child I have always loved dark places and the solitude that came with them. The mystery of my surroundings and what may lie in wait intrigued me to no end. With that, I always visited the attic growing up. It was my get-away place where I went especially when my parents would bring up memories of my older brother. I didn't want to hear them.

Because I spent so much time in this attic as a kid, I knew all of it's contents and what my parents kept up here. These boxes were not among those things. My curiosity spurs me to limp back over to the object on the floor. Picking it up, I hold it to the light. From what I can tell, it's in the shape of a wooden stake. Well, this is interesting.

Sifting through the box, I come across viles upon viles of some liquid-like substance. Next to them is a large book that looks like it could be at least a hundred years old. A seal is on the cover and I run my hand over it, feeling how fragile the thing is. I open to the first page and run my finger across the lone italic word.

REVENANTS

I frown slightly. Where have I heard this word before? Scooting towards the light, I begin reading more. Pictures, diagrams, and foreign words pop from the pages depicting sharp teeth and gruesome images of people being killed. I turn to a page which shows a figure biting into the throat of another man. It is graphic, but I continue to stare at it. Memories from the past begin to flood back to me all at once and I sit paralyzed, helpless to the onslaught.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you like this first chapter of my new story! I've been really excited to start writing it and it was the perfect time since I'm at a stand still on my other Kidnapped book. Comment, vote, and follow if you enjoyed! I love your feedback.