4- The Means

"Miss Kael! A package has arrived for you."

The faint voice of our maid Barbara travels up to where I stand rooted in my bedroom. If it wasn't for the parcel being something I desperately needed, I might have expressed some annoyance at the minor interruption to my work. After my parents left a couple weeks ago I have been whole-heartedly devoted to this possibly futile mission. From all that I have researched it seems no one has ever been able to capture a vampire alive and live to tell the tale. All that is about to change.

When I arrive back in my room from retrieving the much needed package several minutes later, I shut my door and lock it. No need for any more distractions. I smile to myself. I'm only steps away from having everything I need. Opening the two containers that had recently rested in the box, I pull out a couple of bottles of herbs. I've never been much for botany, in fact that was one of the classes I failed in college, but in order to be successful in this undertaking, I must get over it.

The jars of Henbane and Agrimony stare back at me in an almost taunting and nefarious way. I won't be intimidated, though. According to the Book of Revenants, when Henbane, Agrimony, and Vampire Essence are combined into a drinkable solution, the lifeblood of a human is protected upon consumption from vampires. I deduced from the book that the faintly glowing viles of liquid in the attic are my best bet when tracking down this particular essence. I'm not exactly sure what it is but if it will aid me in keeping my vow, I will use anything.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What do you mean she doesn't want to be disturbed? She's been home for three weeks and didn't even tell me. I think I have the right to see her."

Angry voices are coming from downstairs and I role my eyes. Just one more thing keeping me from my work. With the herb and essence potion done and ready for drinking, I started scouring the Book for whatever will give me clues on how to lure the vamp out. As I'm perusing the pages for anything else of help, I hear a steady knock on my door. I sigh in annoyance.

"Lina, please open the door." A male voice seeps through the almost non-existent crack from below. I slam the book shut in my anger. Marching over to my bedroom door, I open it in a huff.

"What, Nate?"

I peer at my visitor with eyes of boredom and borderline irritation. He frowns at me and gives me a once over before pushing his way into my very large but cluttered room.

"Is that really any way to treat your boyfriend? Why didn't you tell me you were in town, Lina?" Nate plops himself down on my bed but winces because of sitting on the hiking boot thrown haphazardly on my coverlet. I haven't slept in a couple days so I hadn't deemed it necessary to move it.

I scrutinize the boy that is now invading my personal haven. His blonde hair brushes his forehead lightly and ever so often falls into his pristine blue eyes that continue to watch me carefully. Nate's chest rises and falls steadily, accentuating his broad chest and strong but limber arms he uses most often while playing basketball. He's handsome, I'll give him that. Which is most likely why I hung onto him after high school. Somehow I had kept up contact with him while I was away at university, but once things started taking a turn for the worst, I cut off all communication.

"What do you want me to say, Nate? I'm sorry? I thought you would maybe take the hint after I completely quit speaking to you, but I guess not." I cross my arms in front of my chest and turn my face towards the window.

"Lina, I didn't even know if anything had happened to you. When you completely disappeared off the radar I had no idea that you decided to come home." Nate knits his brows together and blows out a breath in frustration. I clench my fist in anger.

"From what I've heard, you were moving on way before that ever happened, Nate. Now you have the gall to come on to my property and claim any sort of relationship with me." This isn't entirely true. I didn't hear it directly from anyone but I did have a hunch.

Nate looks at me in shock for a split second then quickly recovers. I guess my hunches were correct. He stands up quickly and strides over to me. Raising his arms, he brushes his rough hands up my bare skin and I shiver. Several weeks without any human touch is quite awhile, but this reaction was most likely due to disgust. Nate was always the player and had a way of making you want to please him. Now was not one of those times for me. I step out of his reach and back into the great wooden table I was previously working at.

"You know I love you, Lina. You've always been the one that matters most to me. Let me prove it to you." His voice goes an octave lower to further the enticement he is trying to create. Nate's eyes flash a hint of the desire he is feeling most likely at my state of dress. Or more like state of undress. My loose tank top and tight shorts don't do much covering but of course, I wasn't expecting or wanting any visitors.

My mind flutters back to the Book briefly. Maybe I can use this situation to my advantage. I cock my head at him and smirk, my secret weapon that I know he's a sucker for. Taking that as an affirmation of his plea, Nate closes the distance between us. Before he can do anything though, I put a slender finger to his lips and then slip the same hand to the back of his neck.

"If you really want to make it up to me, you'll go out with me tomorrow night. There's a club I've been wanting to try lately and I really think you'd like it." My voice is down to a breathy whisper as I cradle his neck in my hand and plant a kiss on the underside of his earlobe. I feel his body shiver under my touch and I smile genuinely. This situation is too good to be true.

He slips an arm around my waist and pulls me into him. "Of course, Lina. Anything." His hands start to creep lower, but I halt them.

"Oh no, I said you'd be making it up to me tomorrow. Tonight, you'll just have to merely imagine what exactly that'll be." I lay the seductiveness on thick for good measure. With Nate, you can never go wrong with a little sweet talk.

He groans and reluctantly frees me from his embrace. When he does, I feel as if a weight has been removed from my shoulders. It's been a long time I now realize since I've been attracted to Nate. But oh well. It will make my plan that much sweeter.

Because now, all I see in my mind is the faint picture of the vampire who called himself Arius. I will find him and I will use whatever means necessary. I believe that when a person decides to be the first to kidnap a live vampire, the ends most definitely justify the means.