Charlie

Spinning quickly in hopes to fight the oppressing heat of the Nevada desert beating down upon the occupants of the gas station, the fan hummed, shaking wildly filling the place with useless sound. The small bell jingles alerting of the presence of another person. The cashier didn't even lookup. Too busy appeasing the soccer mom's wishes in hopes that her annoying voice and terrible hair cut would leave.

A gentle humming of random tunes added the fan's "music". Moving with a slight beat to her step was a girl or young woman. The humid heat dampened the blond hair into frizzles, which the girl tried to tame in a half-hearted bun. Charlie weaved around the aisles, dodging a pair of kids whizzing past. Readjusting her oversized blue-and-gray flannel, she stole a glance at the cashier. Still busy with a soccer mom. Good.

Making her way to the Slurpee machine, Charlie grabbed a cup, pressed every flavor button possible, pushed the small lever letting it go as far back as it could. Then she kept pushing until she heard a satisfying snap. Stepping away from the machine, she waited a few seconds until icy sweet sludge began over-flowing onto the floor before letting out a startled scream.

Her scream attracted the attention she wanted. "Shit!"

"Excuse me? There are children here!" Soccer mom shrieked at the cashier as he darted to the mess.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! I-I just pushed the thing a-and it just- "

"It's ok! It's ok, it was just an accident." The cashier soothed Charlie before assessing the mess. Soccer mom rushed over, flustered that she was being ignored, patting her poorly dyed blond hair she glared at Charlie.

"Excuse me, but my kid's game starts in twenty minutes, I need you to finish up scanning my stuff."

The cashier looked at her like she was crazy." What the fuck?"

"What did you just say to me?"

"What the fuck lady? I have more important things to do than your kid's fucking game!" Soccer mom's eyes nearly bugged out of their sockets.

"Where's the manager?"

"Come fucking on!" the Slurpee machine continued to spit out its contents, two adults screamed at each other, and two kids cheered with glee, sliding down the Slurpee mess crashing into the shelves before them.

Now it is times like these Charlie used the chaos to her advantage. Taking her chance, she darted down aisles, grabbing handfuls of anything she could get her hands on. Shoving it into her string bag hidden away under her flannel shirt. Turning to the drinks aisle, she practically ripped the door open to grab as many water bottles possible, then she hunted for a six-pack of beer.

Her heart raced, glancing at the arguing adults, the manager joined the group trying to calm the soccer lady down. Charlie had to hurry, soon they will remember her existence and the absence of their products. Ducking down, she saw the beer section...right in plain view of the group. There is no way she could possibly steal the beer without being seen, letting out a deep breath, preparing to gun for it...

"Are you breaking the law?" an innocent voice inquired. By her side were the two children, dried Slurpee stained their skin and soccer uniform into a colorful mess.

"You could get into big trouble." Added the other. Despite how innocent these children seemed, the mischief in their eyes showed otherwise. Grinning at the two, Charlie saw bags of candy on the shelf right next to her. The children noticed what held her interest and started giggling in excitement. Grabbing armfuls of them she tossed them to the kids.

"Distract them for me and this is all yours." Both kids grinned nodding their heads in agreement, taking off to follow out their side of the deal. Listening carefully, it didn't take long for cries of confusion and anger, mixed with children giggling reached her ears.