8

The two former officers followed the stream of people to the cafeteria. There, the students formed an orderly line next to the kitchen. As they had waited for their meals so many times before in German field kitchens, this was all familiar to Peter and Karl. They hurriedly picked up a tray to join the line. In the sea of Japanese school girl uniforms, however, the two liked wildly out of place. The girls that lined up behind them made sure to keep a certain distance. And around them hushed conversations and giggling ensued. Finally, they had made it to the front of the slow line, and they were eager to receive their meal. To both Peter and Karl's amazement, the food looked incredible. 

"This stuff is definitely better than the mess we got at the front." Karl said. 

"Are you kidding me? This is better than what they served in my old academy." Peter exclaimed.

Standing awkwardly for a few moments, the two friends looked around the full cafeteria. Most of the tables were packed. Not a single one was empty. They would have to ask to join one. But all of a sudden Peter noticed a familiar hat in the crowd. He did a double take and looked at it again. Unmistakably it was a German field marshal hat from the war. And were those gas goggles? He looked closer at the person sporting the hat and realized she was wearing a field marshal uniform. 

"Karl. Am I going crazy, or is that Erwin Rommel over there?" Peter asked, slightly dumbfounded as he pointed towards her general direction.

"Why is she wearing a marshal's uniform? In school?" Karl replied, flabbergasted. 

"Either way I think I know where we are sitting." Peter said, heading towards her direction,  

The two men approached the table. Other than the pretender of Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, there were 3 other girls sitting there as well. They were eating lunch and talking among themselves. Peter got a little snippet of the conversation before the group noticed the their presence and began whispering to each other. It was something about Japanese generals or the like, he was not too sure. 

"Hey there! I am Peter and this is my friend Karl" Peter called out, "Do you mind if we join you guys?" 

They seemed to debate among themselves before the girl wearing a red scarf as a cloak stood up. 

"Sure. You may sit here." She said. 

"Thank you." The two replied as they slid into their chairs at the table. 

The two quickly dug into their food. But the girls, however, just observed them carefully. Peter casted a few glances at the girl wearing the field marshal's uniform, as he was still curious about her but decided against asking just yet. There were a few minutes of silence, drowned out by the loud chatter of the rest of the cafeteria, before the girl wearing Erwin Rommel's uniform questioned Peter, 

"Why are you wearing a German uniform?" 

"Because erhm, I." Peter thought quickly to come up with a response. "Because I just always had it."

"That doesn't answer anything." She responded.

"Well, why do you wear yours? You look like Field Marshal Rommel!" Peter asked back. 

"That is because I aspire to be like him. He is my favorite general of the war."

"The war?" 

"Yeah, World War 2?" She answered, confused, "Shouldn't you know? You are wearing a German uniform from the time period."  

"Oh, yeah." Peter scratched his head. "Sorry, I am still coming to terms with some stuff."

"I take it you have an interest in World War 2 as well?" She said, moving on. "That is a lot of collectibles on your jacket." She seemed fascinated by the various awards and ribbons on the war torn jacket worn by Peter.

"Yeah. I guess you could say I know a lot about it." Peter chuckled to himself. "I know it like I was there." 

"Wow, cool! you guys seem like history buffs too?" She said excitedly. "I forgot to introduce ourselves. I am Erwin by the way."

"Erwin, as in Erwin Rommel?" Karl asked

"Yep, that's what they call me." 

The two Germans looked at each other. Their expression told the same thing. She seems insane.

"And over there is Caesar." She pointed at the girl who had first greeted them. 

"That's Saemonza." She smiled and waved at them. She was wearing something that looked like it came straight from their old history textbooks. 

"Finally, there's Oryou." 

"Hello!" She said to the two.  She had  unruly black hair and midnight blue eyes and wore a pair of red eyeglasses

"We are the History club of this school and the Hippo Team for the Senshadou Club."

"The what team for the what club?" They both asked, bewildered by the strange name. The history club explained some things, but the Senshadou Club raised new questions, many new questions.  

"The Senshadou Club." Erwin said, like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "Have you guys never heard of it?"

They both shook their heads,

"You guys must be living under a rock or something!" She exclaimed, "Senshadou is the noble art of Tank combat."

"T-Tank combat?" Peter's eyes widened. This was worse than the volksstrum, how desperate of a war were they in to send in school girls as tank crews?

"Yep, it is a sport where schools compete against each other in team events."

"Schools... against schools?" 

"Yeah. who else would we compete against?" Erwin responded. 

"You make it sound as if it is a friendly soccer match or something!" Peter cried out, "What happens if the tanks explode, or the crew die?" 

"Ooohhh, I see why you are so concerned." Erwin said laughing. "The tank shells are special ones, and so are the armor. It is in a way like a soccer match, there are rules and regulations to make sure nobody gets hurt."

"I see." Peter said relieved. He was still bemused by the idea of a tank battle being a competitive event among school girls. 

"Yep, we are the Hippo Team and we drive the Stug III Ausf.F." She said proudly. "Our tank club is just starting out. But we have an amazing commander." 

"Really, who's that?" Peter asked, curiously. 

"Miho Nishizumi. She used to be a brilliant tank ace at one of the best Senshadou schools around." Erwin explained, 

Karl interrupted her and said, "Ha. I bet Peter can take her on with no problem."

"And why is that?" She asked indignantly 

"Because he was..." Karl faltered as he realized how ridiculous he would sound. "Because he is just a really good tank commander.

The bell rang and the rest of the cafeteria clambered up to exit the mess hall.  

"If you are so confident, then after school we shall have Senshadou match." Erwin said, getting up. 

"Wait." Peter tried to ask her, but her and the rest of the history club had already gotten up and left. He turned around and looked at Karl, before sighing and putting his head in his hands. 

"Damn it, Karl. We don't even have a tank."