chapter 4

"Is it just me or are you somehow.. happier?" Ian asked while studying my face curiously. "Don't you think, babe?" he nudged Jessica's shoulder.

"A little." she agreed.

I opened the fridge and took out a water bottle. I've been out running for the past 45 minutes and I'm thirsty as hell. "I don't know what you guys are talking about."

"I think there's some girl involved." my nosy best friend continued. "But I don't know where the hell he got her. I mean, he's either at work or at home. Wait, you created a Tinder account!"

"That I definitely didn't. I'm not interested in texting someone for weeks and then find out they're a piece of shit in person. Also profile pictures aren't always realistic. I need to see the goods before I buy them, you know.."

"But this way you'll end up alone and your godchildren will ask where the godmother is."

I already knew Ian was going to settle down with Jess. They wanted kids. Being a godfather will be the biggest honor for me. However, between men, expressing feelings wasn't on the daily program. Did his words turn me into a softie? Yes. Will I pull him in an emotional hug and start crying like a girl? Hell no. I have to stay tough.

"Your lack of faith in my social life is offending me." I rolled my eyes.

He isn't entirely wrong. There is someone involved, but she's someone I will never have. Grace is out of my league.

"There's nobody aside from Rita."

"Will, but Rita is your guitar!" Ian exclaimed, his voice going higher than usual. Jessica was doing her best not to burst out laughing.

"Exactly. Speaking of, I should check on her. See ya!"

After having a shower, I went to the safety of my room. I never really had the urge to personalize it much. My musical instruments are pretty personal. Who needs tons of stupid decorations?

They're just collecting dust and Ian the housewife would only tell me to wipe the dust away.

Less useless things mean less trouble.

My phone beeped with a new text.

Erin: Hey, what ur up to? Haven't heard from you in ages!

I know what you're thinking now.

He actually has friends other than Ian?

Well, duh. I do have other friends. There's not a lot but there's a few. I met Erin in college during my short stay in there. She was crazy enough to talk to me. Well, talking is an understatement. Even if I might have been a moron, unable to read signals, hers were clear as the sky on a sunny day.

That was the summer I let loose before dropping out. We might have had a little summer fling. Erin is not the type I would actually date. I'm glad we remained friends, though.

And that was my entire college love history. Heck, my entire love history. If I don't count the crushes I had that never turned reality, and that one girl in high school I really liked but she didn't want me and threw it in my face...

Erin should be on the way to getting her bachelor degree at the moment.

Not much. Still a music nerd

Erin: I wasn't expecting anything else. Wanna hang out?

I told she was straightforward.

Sure, maybe next week?

Erin: K, what about free pizza? I'm dating this cute pizza girl right now ;)