chapter 3

After saying an imaginary goodbye to Grace who I admired from the other side of the train wagon sitting cross legged with those perfect legs, I went home in a visibly better mood.

I even smiled at the grocery store clerk when I was getting food.

Ian and I didn't address the fight again. It's what friends do. We don't talk about it further. I learned my lesson. I need to stop being a slob and leaving everything to Ian.

I won't guarantee the speed of my progress, but at least I'll try. The sooner Ian sees I won't burn the flat down or flood the Hauptvogels, our German neighbors (who like to swear scheisse loudly out of the window by the way), the sooner he realizes he doesn't need to babysit me anymore and live his happily ever after with Jessica.

I'm really happy for him. And I'm a little envious. Jessica is a sweetheart. I wonder where girls like her are hidden at. Those nice, caring girls who have mercy on kind-at-heart but sorta dumbass dudes like me.

Because even if I fantasize about Grace, I know it's just in my wildest dreams. A woman like her wouldn't look at a zero like me.

This woman's appearance screams high standards.

I don't know when exactly catering the guests became my job too, but I still found myself doing it. I'm just doing what I'm told because this job is my everything. I can't lose it.

That's how I found myself in one of our studios carrying water bottles and cans of CBD beverage to the mini fridge.

There was some dude I had no idea who he was in the recording booth. His voice sounded pretty average. But that wasn't the thing that caught my attention. I recognized one of the guys sitting at the keys, having a silent nodding conversation between themselves. One of them was Max Embers. A songwriter I knew from the NBC reality show I watched late at night when I couldn't sleep and matched the time zone of the broadcast.

I felt a little starstruck. He wasn't worldwide known, but I liked his music. The Songland debut Lookin' Up was one of the best songs I've heard.

I was still minding my business when Max frowned at something. The control panel with all keys did a weird sound. The boring singing dude looked at them impatiently, telling he couldn't hear anything.

"Do you have an idea what's wrong?" the third guy asked. Max shook his head, "No clue."

I collected every ounce of bravado I had and peeped in, "I think I can help."

Max and the other dude, who had the thickest neck with a Poker card tattoo, both looked up at me. They both shrugged and stood up, gesturing for me to see the problem.

Since this is my job, I knew after a few seconds. Oops, so this is the thing I forgot to do yesterday! "There's a layer of dust sedimented in the sound system. I'm going to run the cleaning mechanism to get it away. It's not going to be pleasant.. It's similar to a broken mic screeching for 30 seconds but it helps. So, cover your ears on 3, 2, 1..."

With palms over my ears, I almost chuckled as the singing dude in the booth jumped from the sound and almost knocked a golden record plaque off the wall he just bumped his back into.

Who the hell is this klutz and why does he have the honor to work with Max Embers?

The screeching stopped. I dared to sit down and try out some keys. Everything sounded smooth like butter again. Max smiled and gave me a bro hand-shake. The second I walk out, I'm having a private teenage fangirl moment.

"Thank you, man! How did you know what to do?"

I shrugged, "Actually, this is what I'm paid for. Serving beverages is just a bonus. I tune guitars, keyboards, mics... all that stuff that should be prepared before the studio is booked for a session."