#8

"Casey! Casey come back! You can't leave!" I blocked out her screams and looked at my feet trying not to trip over hidden roots and rocks. I weaved through the obstacles. I ran away from the shouting and the guns and the death and the blood and the violence. I ran away from Alexis and her gang. I ran away from my kidnapper and her killers. I ran away from Jordan. All of my fear and other emotions faded away, leaving adrenaline pushing me forward. 
        It had been a couple minutes before I slowed down to a stop. I looked behind me. Nothing was there. I walked over to a log near a stream and sat on it. My arm was throbbing; Alexis had a really hard grip. I gently massaged my arm. One specific area hurt even more when I ran my hand over it. I looked over, wet my hand and lightly rubbed water over the hurting area. The dirt and grime smudged around but it gradually cleared away to reveal odd coloring. I went to examine it closer until I heard a twig snap, it was quiet and brief, but it was enough to send me into a sprint again.
        I ran through the trees, snow melting as soon as it touched my hot skin. After about 5 minutes of running, I slowed down. I was breathing heavily and leaned against a tree catching my breath. I studied the coloring on my arm. I noticed a very faint line, almost like a cut, on the edge of my bicep. As I examined it even closer, I noticed that it was flashing. It kept the same skin tone, but something else was blinking.
        Realizing I didn't have much time till Alexis and the others came looking, I started walking east. If my memory was right, I would eventually reach the road. Luckily, I was right, and the road soon came into my view. I hiked up a small hill and started walking along it, making sure to go the opposite way Alexis and the gang were. As I walked, I stayed behind the trees lining the road in case I had to jump behind one a few times, which I did.
        After a few hours my legs were numb from both walking and the cold. The snow had seeped through my sweater and clothes, and my head was freezing. I pulled my sweater up over my nose but there was barely any extra warmth. My hands were bright red and my bones ached. I was also ridiculously hungry since, along the way, I had thrown up the cereal Julia had given me this morning. It was dark out before I found a small, light green building in the middle of a parking lot. There was snow and slush piling up on the sides of the curb and fake snow flakes in the window. The far end of the parking lot had a trail. That's when I realized: I found the cafe by the waterfall.
        I knew it was risky to try to find help, especially from a place Alexis knew about, but I was about to pass out from hypothermia and I couldn't help it.
        I ran through the parking lot, slipping on ice a few times, and to the door. The sign said closed, but there were lights on in the back that led me to believe someone was home. I knocked on the door, but no one came. I did this a third and fourth time and still no one came. On my fifth knock a woman appeared from the back. When she saw me, she quickly ran to the door and let me in.
        "Come in! Come in! You look freezing!" She insisted. She placed her hand on my back and ushered me inside, sitting me down at one of the tables. "How long have you been out there?" She questioned.
        "Um a few hours. I... I got lost." I told her, "My name is Casey. Thank you for letting me inside. I was about to freeze." She brushed off the thanks with a wave of the hand, saying her name was Edna, and went into the back to grab me a blanket. I thanked her again, she waved it off, then went behind the counter and began making a drink. "Is hot chocolate alright?" I nodded.
        A few minutes later I was presented with a steaming hot chocolate and piece of banana bread that hadn't sold during the day. Both were delicious. After a few minutes of making small talk, I hesitantly looked up at her. "Edna?" I asked. She looked at me questioningly. "I... I've been kidnapped. By Alexis Knight. She kidnapped me about a week ago, and today I managed to run into the woods during a deal gone wrong. I know it won't be long before she finds me here. Please help me." She looked at me in both worry and shock. "Oh god Casey of course I'll help you! I have terrible reception out here at night, especially when the clouds are out like this, but I'll let you stay here for the night and in the morning we can head out, alright?" I nodded, gave her a hug, and couldn't help breaking down in her arms.
        She held me like my mother would have; stroking my hair and shushing me gently while I cried. I told her about how Alexis had violated me and told me I belonged to her. I told her about Julia and about Jordan, how I left her there with a gunshot wound to the leg. "Casey you helped her all you could. You had to escape." She reassured me. I nodded, slowly steadying my breath and wiping away the tears. Without saying a word, Edna stood me up and helped me to the back and up a set of stairs into a room. There were two beds that looked extremely welcoming. Handing me a pair of pajamas, Edna said, "You can sleep up here. I'll be just downstairs if you need anything." Thankfully, I took the clothes, changed, and snuggled into one of the beds. I feel asleep almost as soon as my head hit the pillow.
~
        The next morning I woke up to hear Edna making herself some coffee down stairs. It was still dark outside, but a small lamp in the corner of the room kept everything visible. I sat up and looked around, remembering the events of yesterday and last night. I would finally be able to go home today, to have Alexis turned in. I became ecstatic at the thought.
        I looked over to see the other bed in the room had been neatly made. There was a small pile of clothes on the end of the bed. I got up and walked over to see that Edna had been so kind as to wash my clothes from yesterday.
        I took off the pajamas Edna had given me last night and slipped on my jeans. When I reached to grab my shirt I felt a pulse in my arm. I winced. The same spot that hurt yesterday was throbbing again. I brought my arm to my side and examined it closer than I had been able to yesterday. There seemed to be some kind of pale light underneath the skin. As my fingers brushed over the light I felt a small bump, which looked to be a scar, as if my skin had been cut. That's when I put it together: this was a tracker.
        I cursed mentally. I should have seen this coming. I quickly grabbed my shirt and sweater, ignoring the pain in my arm, and rushed downstairs. "Edna we need to leave now Alexis put some kind of tracker in me she'll get here any-"
        "Second?" Alexis's voice finished. I froze. Alexis was sitting at one of the cafe tables with a pastry in her hand. Edna walked over to her with a steaming drink, then turned to me and smiled.
        "E-Edna what is this? I thought you said you would help me..." I stuttered. Edna sighed, putting her hands on my arms gently. "I'm sorry Casey. I know I said I would, but Alexis is my niece. I couldn't betray my sister's daughter." I looked past her to see Alexis, who had a smile on her face but anger in her eyes.
        "Time to go home Casey." She said, "Jordan wants to see you." I shook my head and backed up, slapping Edna away. "No..." I mumbled. When Alexis stood up and made her way towards me I screamed. "No! No! Stay away from me!" I bolted towards the back and out the door, making a sprint for the woods. I ran as fast as I could but, of course, Alexis quick enough to catch me. She caught my arm, causing me to fall when I tried to yank away. I crawled away from her until I reached a tree. When I tried to stand up Alexis was already there, pressing herself against me. Tears fell from my eyes.
        "Please don't cry, Princess." She said earnestly. She looked both sad and confused that I didn't want to go with her. "We're going home now." She pressed a cloth I'd become too familiar with to my mouth. I shook my head and tried to push her away but it didn't work. She punched me in the stomach out of frustration, and everything went black.