DELETED CHAPTER: The American (part 3)

The American (part 3)

Sofi came around the corner, recognizing the place that marked the entrance to the Encante. Just a few days ago she and dozens of other Encantados were frolicking and dancing in these warm waters. And now instead of a collection of beautiful people swimming around, there was a single figure floating forlornly in the middle of the pool. Sofi cupped her hands over her mouth in shock. It was Joshua's dead lanky body that bobbed in the placid water.

A strange form dipped up out of the water and swiftly swam to the edge of the bank where Sofi stood. A dark body emerged from the pool and approached her. Amancio's orange eyes blinked casually in the moonlight. 

Sofi swallowed before she asked, "Amancio, is he . . . dead?"

Amancio explained, "I tried to erase his memories, but I couldn't. I told you I wasn't strong enough."

Sofi stood there in astonishment. She had no intentions of getting Joshua killed. Amancio didn't notice her shock as he moved some hair out of her face and said, "Sofi, it's better this way. He didn't tell his crew where he was going. And since he went missing in city, they won't investigate the river. It's all going to be okay."

Amancio took Sofi's chin in his hands and kissed her full on the mouth. Sofi battled with her conscience.

This is wrong.

No. Joshua deserved it.

But he wasn't supposed to die.

How else would we have stopped him from invading the river? You lied to him, you led him to the river, and you knew exactly what would happen to him. Accept what you are are – Encantado.

Sofi ripped away from Amancio. "No!"

Amancio's expression flaunted a mask of confusion. Sofi reached up and grabbed the necklace he made for her. She ripped it off her neck and flung it at his feet.

"I am not a monster!"

Amancio reached out his hand to comfort her. Sofi nearly fell into the trees as she stumbled backwards. 

 "No! Get back. Stay away from me, Amancio!"  

The fire in Amancio's mango eyes dimmed. He lowered his quivering hand as he realized what he had done.

"Sofi, I'm sorry. I couldn't control it. I couldn't stop myself."

"Get away from me!" Sofi hollered before she took off into the darkness. Amancio sank to his knees and watched Sofi disappear into the forest. 

With violent self-hatred, he pounded the ground beneath him. Bits of mud and dung flew up into his face. Into his mouth and eyes. The young Encantado did not shout or holler. His anger was beyond that. He just continued to slay the earth until he punched out a pit deep enough for him to lay face first in.

"Master, help me," he moaned. He knew Julio would not approve of his actions in this situation. He would be furious that Amancio made Sofi run off again. But the young Encantado didn't care. He needed someone to talk to. Why did he kill that human so impulsively? Why had he let his instincts get the better of him?

"Master, where are you?" he called out again. "I need you!"

There was no reply. Amancio closed his big orange eyes and cried silently in the dirt.

Why am I this way? he thought miserably.

Then he stopped crying briefly and did something that he would have never dared to do before. Eyes still closed, he tried to remember what life was like before Julio became his mentor.