6.i Encantado (EDITED)

6.i Encantado 

Two Encantados stood in the shadows of the rainforest. One was very tan with hair the color of red velvet cake. The other had short, curly black hair and even blacker eyes. They watched on as a couple of young girls stole into the forest.

"This is it." The dark-haired Encantado folded his arms. "Don't disappoint me this time."

With that, he backed away into the darkness of trees and foliage, leaving his student alone before his task.

Amancio frowned as he watched Sofi and another girl tread into danger. He didn't want to hurt her. He liked Sofi. But at the same time, this was the only way he could go home to the Encante.

The young Encantado tried to push those feelings for the human out of his mind. They were nothing but a distraction. His orange eyes narrowed as he dragged both of his hands through his wavy hair. The shadowy red color faded away and streaks of dark brown took over.

~

Sofi made sure to take the same cautious steps on her second trip to the river. Only this time, Paola was tagging along. The two of them wove their way through the bushes and foliage to hide from the eyes of the passing locals. They both made it to the river's edge without being spotted.

As soon as the girls caught their breaths, Sofi said, "Remember, don't go near the water at all – not even if he asks. He will try to say anything to get you into the water with him. In fact, you shouldn't do anything unless I say it's okay, do you understand? Paola . . . Paola, are you even listening to me?"

Paola stared over Sofi's shoulder, captivated.

"Is that him?"

Sofi followed her gaze until it landed on someone sitting at the riverbank with their bare feet in the water.

Amancio.

The surrounding jungle was just as mesmerizing as before. It almost didn't seem real – Amancio, the sun child lounging against the backdrop of the untamable, glorious Amazon. As if he had been waiting for her this whole time.

"Yeah, that's him," Sofi said, spellbound. "That's Amancio." She hadn't expected to feel this way a second time. It was as if nothing had changed since yesterday. He was still a dream in the flesh and Sofi had to summon all of her concentration just to think straight.

Paola tried to suppress a squeal. "Sofi, you weren't kidding. Look at him! He's absolutely gorgeous! But his hair . . . I thought you said he was a redhead."

Sofi looked back at Amancio and realized that his hair had lost its crimson ombre. With his new dark brown hair he almost looked like a normal boy. Almost.

Something isn't right.

Sofi told Paola to wait just before she left to investigate. She became more aware of her own heartbeat as she drew closer to the boy. When he looked her way, his orange eyes seemed to confirm her suspicions that he had been waiting for her return.

Sofi approached, drawing up the courage to school her features into an easy smile. "Remember me?"

Amancio pushed his hair off his forehead to see her better. "If I remember correctly, you were the one who ditched me yesterday."

Sofi stuck her big toe in the sand. "I'm know. I'm sorry. But look, I came back."

Amancio stood up. He was only a few inches taller than her. Not quite as tall as Toni.

"You came back," he repeated and tapped the mole by her eye. The brief, intimate contact made Sofi forget what she wanted to say next. She stood in limbo without words, breathing in the phantom scent of oranges and lemonade when her memory struck.

"When did you dye your hair?" She asked, half intoxicated by his presence.

Amancio arched an eyebrow. Stiffly, he replied, "I don't know what you're talking about. It's always been this color."

Sofi stared harder. "Oh, I could have sworn –"

"Hey!" Paola's voice broke her concentration. Startled, Sofi turned, forming a barrier between Paola and Amancio.

"I told you to wait."

Paola rolled her eyes. "I did." She elbowed her way past Sofi. "Beleza. I'm Paola."

Half stunned, Sofi watched on as Paola and Amancio exchanged greetings. Paola was coy and Amancio was charming. The way he threaded his fingers with hers and told her how soft her hands were made Sofi's nerves fire raw, dizzying sensations throughout her body. She suddenly wanted to hit Paola very, very hard.

No!

Sofi backed up. The air was too heavy and sweet with ripened fruit. This feeling was too familiar.

Before she could stop herself, she stepped between Paola and Amancio. Quickly, she came up with an excuse to cover the awkward interruption.

"Amancio, where's your guitar? I really wanted Paola to hear one of your songs."

Amancio's eyes lit up. "I'll be right back."

As soon as he disappeared into the forest, Sofi spun around and gripped Paola by the shoulders. Feeling a little like her crazy tia, she barked, "Stay here and don't move until I come back. I mean it this time."

Paola shook her head. "You've got to be kidding me, Sofi! That guy isn't an Encantado. He doesn't even have red hair, and . . . and he's just not one of them, okay?"

"Jesus. You're under his spell . . . . You have to believe me. Yesterday his hair was red and now it isn't. He's trying to hide something. So wait here and do not wander off."

~

After Sofi let her go, Paola crossed her arms and watched her friend flee behind some ferns.

"What the hell, Sofi?"

She fought her first instinct to follow her and crouched in the sand instead. Idly, she scooped up handfuls of sand and let it waterfall between her fingers. She closed her eyes and could almost imagine the warm grains as Amancio's calloused hands.

The wildlife of the Amazon constantly echoed around her. She sensed the rhythm in each slosh of the waves against the riverbank. The squawks of invisible birds seemed to be calling her out on her sin, saying, You don't belong here. The heat of the jungle was overwhelming, almost unbearable.

Despite the heat, Paola shivered. What if Sofi is right? What if Amancio is hiding something?

When she thought of his smile and how safe and warm it made her feel, she snatched another handful of sand and chucked it at the river.

"Yeah, right. Sofi just wants him to herself."

Paola got to her feet, determined to pursue them when she heard a note, pure and polished, wandering on the breeze. Another note followed, as ethereal as the last. Paola froze in her steps. Her pupils waxed. She followed the music.

Hypnotized, Paola picked her way through the forest until she came into a warm pocket of ferns right at the lip of the river. Seated on a fallen tree with a silver instrument perched at his lips was a boy. His hair was dark and curly. His eyes darker still. He wore only a pair of ripped denims and a plain earring in his left ear.

Paola's glazed eyes widened at the dark flutist. Once his hypnotic little tune came to an end, he descended from the tree stump and approached her. She teetered where she stood, drunk off the minty scent clinging to his skin.

Nodding at her, he commanded, "Take off your clothes."

Without hesitation, Paola did as she was told. The dark-haired Encantado came closer and looked into her colorless eyes.

"Sleep," he whispered. Paola's eyes rolled into the back of her head and she collapsed into his arms. The Encantado swept up and carried the helpless child into murky waters.