Chapter 5

You clocked out from your job, waving at your coworkers as you left. Walking towards the exit you stopped when you saw that all too familiar face.

You quickly turned around and tried to sneak out the back door, but it was too late. Johnny had already spotted you.

"Hey Y/N. You just get off work? Wanna do something?" He greeted.

"Not really." You tried to walk away from him, but he grabbed your wrist and pulled you back.

"Why not?"

"You only ever have one thing on your mind and honestly I'm done."

"Oh come on. That's not the only thing we do."

"Yeah, it kinda is."

"You know you love me though."

You took a deep breath to calm yourself down. Your emotions were bubbling to the surface, threatening to spill over. You didn't want to make a scene, but that thought was traveling farther and farther to the back of your head with each passing minute.

"I don't think I do anymore. You left me. You left and left and left. And all I ever did was forgive you each and every time. I trusted you when you said you'd stay, when you said you'd show up. I believed every lie you ever told me. But now? I'm done. Whatever this is. I'm done."

"Look if you want to take a break–"

"I wanna break up."

You could barely stand to look at him anymore. All the emotions that had built up over the past months were finally spilling out and nothing could stop this waterfall of emotions.

Johnny tried to speak, but you cut him off. "I'm done trying to pick up the pieces of myself, praying that you won't leave, and then falling apart when you're gone again. If you come back to stay, I won't be there anymore. I'm out."

You turned around. Tears fell from your face. You thought it was going to hurt less, knowing that you would be leaving him and not the other way around this time. You thought that it would be better... for the both of you. You two would finally move on with our lives and not be trapped in our suffocating love for one another.

But it didn't.

You walked out the door, Johnny following close behind you.

"Y/N please don't leave me. Don't go." His voice was quiet, barely a whisper. If you had taken even one more step you might not have heard it. "I love you."

You took another step, then another, and soon enough you were at your car. Another step and you were in the driver's seat.

You felt as though you were in a daze. You could barely see as if your thoughts were right in front of you, clouding your vision.

"Y/N I love you! I love you more than anyone else, more than I've ever loved anyone before. I'm sorry. I know that I'm the worst boyfriend in the world. I couldn't stop myself from falling back into old, bad habits, but it'll be different this time!"

"Different? How will this turn out any different? You haven't changed one bit. But me? I finally have." You closed the car door and drove away.

––––––

I hope you enjoyed this story! If you want to read more, Y/N's story continues in "A Poem for Small Things (Yuta)". It takes place a few months after this story ends and follows Y/N as they continue to heal from this toxic relationship.