Chapter Six

It's been a week since Florence came up in the Box.

She's felt happy enough working as a Med-jack, eagerly waiting for Minho to recover from his ankle injury so she could learn to run the Maze. She didn't mind about the fact she was just a part-time Runner because she liked healing people.

And even more so, she liked healing Minho

She's been tending to him for the last six days, the boy vehemently deciding that she be his personal nurse, but trying to force himself out of bed to walk everyday. This led to her having to drag him back in, threatening to whack him over the head with his crutches which she had fished out from a bush.

But everyday, the girl woke and left their room. She stepped over and past the sleeping bodies outside the Homestead and around the Glade, and approached the walls of the Maze. Every day, she watched the walls. They were closed, and they were peaceful. She was aching to know what it was like in there, her sneak peak on her first day only fuelling her desire.

And so a week from her arrival was no different.

She tiptoed from her room - Minho still sleeping soundly - and shut the door behind her as quietly as possible.

But someone had noticed her morning ritual. As the girl dodged the boys in their sleeping bags scattered around the place, her ever so quiet footsteps managed to wake one boy.

Ben was used to having to get up quickly in the mornings, and so it only took a second for him to sit up in bed, alarmed by the footsteps. His eyes wandered to the girl approaching the Maze, and he watched as she stood in front of it, observing it.

Curious to her actions, he crept away from his fellow Gladers sleeping to join her. There was barely daylight, so there was only a soft glow cast over the Glade, the light seeping over the trees and lightening the walls slowly.

"You wanna get out there huh?" The boy's voice made her jump, and her fight or flight instincts kicked in, causing her to turn to hit the figure.

He dodged the hand swinging for his face, stumbling away slightly, his own eyes widening in shock and fright. She relaxed as soon as she realised it was him and took back her hand, running it through her hair and letting a relieved sigh escape her lips.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to scare you." He couldn't help but let out a laugh and the girl cracked a smile, joining his laughter. She shook her head, replaying her actions in her mind and cringing at herself.

"It's okay. I didn't realise I woke you." She turned back to the walls, looking at the ivy now glistening in the growing daylight.

"So was I right then?" She didn't look back to him, choosing to ignore the question. Of course she wanted to get out there. Spending every single hour of every single day in the Glade was limiting to say the least. She was confided to a tiny square when she knew there was a labyrinth waiting behind the walls for her. There was so much beyond the Glade. 

Ben took her silence as a yes and turned to look at the wall she was staring so intensely at, exhaling heavily. Alby and Newt had decided she would start her Runner training with Minho when his ankle recovered, and so she couldn't go out in the Maze until then.

Ben understood her struggles. Well, he didn't really. But he sympathised. He knew the feeling of exhilaration while running the Maze and the escape it gave him from the Maze. He knew the girl would feel the same.

"How would you feel about going in today?" The words escaped Ben's lips before he could stop them. It was a terrible idea. Alby and Newt are going to kill him if they find out.