Thirty eight

When she woke up the next morning, Georgie practically remembered nothing, and her fearful eyes met Rick's sad, tired ones with caution.
"What... What happened?" Georgie asked in confusion, blinking slowly.
"You got far too drunk. Can you remember any of it?"
"No."
"Well, you was sick. A lot, and cried, a lot. I had to carry you home."
"Daryl's gonna kill me." Georgie whispered.
"Yeah, you begged me not to tell him last night. I did. This morning. Sorry. He laughed, and said for you to sleep it off. He'll probably pretend to be serious around you though. Don't laugh."
"Fucks sake."
"Yep. Right, I've gotta go out with Carol and Daryl. You gonna be okay here with Michonne, Carl, and Jude?"
"Yeah that's fine."
"Take a shower. You stink." Rick commented, before leaving. Georgie rolled her eyes, then walked to the shower. She rolled her eyes as she looked in the mirror, seeing smudged makeup and and messy, dirty hair. The smell of the night before and vomit disappeared as Georgie showered, being replaced by the peachy scent of her shower gel, swirling down the drain in one perfect motion.

"C'mon, rug-rat. Tim'a go." Daryl said softly as Georgie read to Judith. Georgie scoffed, knowing Daryl saw rug-rat as a term of endearment, then her face screwed up.
"Go where?"
"Deanna gave us 'nother house. Few more. Got one for us 'nd Carol 'nd the lovebirds. 'Nd your little boyfriend."
Georgie rolled her eyes, then slammed Judith's picture book shut. "I don't wanna. I wanna live here, with Rick and Carl and 'Chonne."
"Tough shit, kiddo. House ain't big enough for me and you. Not if you want yer own room."
"I'll share with Carl. We don't care." Georgie shrugged, and Daryl laughed.
"Yeah, even if I'm gonna let yous share the room, where'll I stay? Front deck?"
"Yeah." Georgie nodded with a smile, and Daryl laughed.
"Fucks sake, kid. Come on, don't be a baby."
"I'm not. I wanna stay with Rick and Carl! Carl's my best friend! And Rick makes me feel safe." Georgie snapped, getting quieter towards the end of the sentence, almost embarrassed to admit it.
"Oh, Rick makes you feel safe and I don't?" Daryl retorted, and Georgie's eyes rolled yet again.
"Piss off. You know I feel safe with you. But Rick actually shows emotion sometimes, you know? Instead of being a fucking brick wall! With no emotion, no feelings!"
"Alright, I've had enough. Get yer shit together!" Daryl hissed, his tone frightening Judith. Rick found his way downstairs, listening in to the argument, concern in his eyes; the pair were both hotheads, and even though he wasn't much better, he could be slightly more reasonable.
"George..." Rick began, but the girls face was furious.
"Go away! I'm staying here." Georgie declared.
"No. Come on. Stop acting like a five year old." Daryl snapped.
"I want to stay here. I want to live here. Not with you."
"I don't particularly want to live with yer either. Yer annoying me. Come on. Now!"
"Georgie. Do as Daryl says. Okay, look, we're not goin' anywhere, just the next house along. Do as he says. Or just... Just go cool off, the pair of you." Rick ordered.
Georgie rolled her eyes and went to leave, not particularly going in any direction. "Hey! Why'd yer listen to him, and not to me!" Daryl snapped.
"Because." Georgie shrugged, going out of the doors.
"I know I'm not yer dad," Daryl sighed, "but yer actually need to listen to me."
"Why?"
"Because it's what you mother wanted! Because I cared for her, and I care about ya! I won't let yer die or be stupid. So do as I say."
"Don't tell me what my mom wanted," Georgie spat, "you knew her for, what, a month? She was my mom. I know what she wants."
"Yeah. You do know her better. And you know she wanted you to be safe, and loved, and she wanted Daryl to protect you." Rick said gently, and Georgie sighed.
"It was my life. Mine and hers and Tegan's. I kept them safe. Me. Not Daryl, not anyone - me. I kept them safe! I don't need anyone protecting me. I'm the adult! The protector! So don't fucking tell me Daryl needs to protect me, or anyone."
"Okay." Rick whispered, the two men suddenly silent.
"I'm an adult. I don't need anyone. I don't," Georgie whimpered, beginning to sob, "I'm alone. I'm a grown up, and I'm alone, and I can do it. I can. I can do it."
"I know."
"I can't." Georgie breathed, sinking to the floor, crying shakily.
"I got you," Daryl said gently, almost pushing Rick aside to comfort the girl, "you're practically a grown up. I know. I know yer can do it alone. But ya don't have to."