Chapter 5

The past two weeks had been tough, to say the least. Today was supposed to be my 45th anniversary with my wife.

My wife.

How are you doing up there, my love?

She was one of many who passed away from the killing virus hovering around the world. The sad part is that she was obedient. She stayed home most of the time apart from the once in a month time when she needed to get her medicine for her blood pressure. It pained me that I could not be there to hold her hand on her last breath. It pained me that I could not keep my vow on our wedding night 45 years back.

Till death do us part.

Apparently, the virus had parted us earlier than death.

We were not staying in elderly care as our children refused the risk of putting us with the other elderly people and the workers. Yet, it looked like the virus still managed to find its way to hurt me.

"Pops, I made potato soup for you if you're ready to have lunch." My granddaughter, Tamara, volunteered to stay with me as the news traveled to her caring ears. She did not have the heart to leave me by myself during this hard time. Even though I tried to refuse her kindness, she was more persistent than my wife ever was.

Do not worry, though. She had been quarantined for as long as I could remember. Her parents, my son and his wife, happened to be the most protective set I knew. Although Tamara informed me that she was not one bit bored with all the game and movie nights her parents planned every other night.

"I'm coming, Sweetie." I put the picture of my beautiful wife back on its original place, my side of the nightstand, then I made my way to the dining room.

I took my seat and smiled at the little angel who was grinning at me so widely. She informed me about all the different recipes she checked before coming up with the 'perfect potato soup for grandpa'. I was far too lucky.

I took a spoonful of the soup and my eyes widened in bewilderment, "This is just so tasty." I informed Tamara making her grin widened. "Your grandma would have loved it." I added. To this, his grin softened into a rueful smile that I could tell was still genuine.

"Do you miss her?" She asked, making me chuckle.

"It's still really fresh, but I would say yes even if you ask me again in a year," I answered before taking yet another sip from my spoon. Looking at her sad expression from my response I added, "but really, having you here helps a lot. So, thank you for being here." And that made her gleam in joy.

"Are you kidding? You and grandma are two of my favorite people. I wouldn't trade being here with you for anything." She got up from her seat and gave me a side hug that warmed my heart.

"You truly are a lovely kid." I said, holding her arm loosely.

The lack of sleep I got from shedding tears at night has gotten me weaker than ever.

The love of my life is really gone.

It was still hard to fathom, but displaying my emotion to Tamara was not an option that would pop in my head. The kid was extremely extrovert. Having to stay inside because of the pandemic, I thought, was already tough for her.

"Pops." I raised my eyebrows, still enjoying the few bits left of my soup. "I know that today is a special day. So Clara and I made something for you a couple of days back." My anniversary. They remember.

"What is it?" I asked in curiosity. Although, I did not get the answer I asked for.

"Pops! You know the drill." The kid loved giving surprises. She was a true angel at heart, as well as her family.