11. Aren't You Suspicious?

Start from the beginning

"And the other victim?" she asked. "The mystery one?"

Oakham scratched the side of his face as he shook his head. "Haven't been able to turn up a monkey's arse about another diamond theft. I'll continue asking, of course, but if you want my opinion. . . Oakham leaned back in his chair and closed the file with one finger. "I'd say it's bogus. There was no fourth robbery."

"No fourth robbery?" Charlotte frowned. "You're saying the woman I overheard at the charity society invented that part? She seemed well informed on the others."

"Exactly. She knew quite a bit about the circumstances of the Arsdale robbery, but you didn't hear what she said beyond that, did you? At least that you've told me. Who's to say that isn't all she really knew, and inflated the rest to impress listeners. Make herself sound more in the know. Or," Oakham shrugged, "she paid someone for the information. For the same reason."

"Someone. As in, another detective you mean. What you thought I was doing the first time I came here."

Oakham nodded. "Perhaps the Arsdales contracted one of my colleagues and the woman got her information from him."

Charlotte thought for a longer moment. This was all fascinating information, but didn't further her own investigation by a badger's nose. It merely confirmed what she already knew. "How are you coming with the Barning-Thornton case? Any clues as to the identity of the thief?'

"As I've told you, Miss Wynthorpe, my investigations are private."

"But hasn't my case given you valuable insight to ruminate on while you smoke your pipe and gaze out over the lights of London in the evenings?"

Oakham gave a small laugh. "For one, I don't smoke a pipe, and the only lights of London I see is the street lamp that shines in my window all night keeping me awake. I'm not the police. I only investigate what I'm paid to investigate, and not one whit more. "

Charlotte smiled to herself. Hadn't Anne said Oakham had been contracted to identify and catch the thief, circumstances permitting?  She now fully believed that he kept silent as the grave about his investigations, if he didn't even want her knowing he was hot after the thief himself.  

On the other hand, Preston had information that he did, at times, give his old mates on the force tips. Contradictory information. The bane of all detectives. 

Time to change tack just slightly. 

"Alright. Then your professional opinion? Is he a criminal or a layman?" Charlotte arched an eyebrow. "Come on, Mr Oakham. I'm a paying client, am I not?" 

Oakham hesitated, his thumb tapping an erratic beat on the desk top. "Who knows for certain? But my gut says he's a professional with a client who knows precisely what he wants. Possibly even naming the victims himself."

"You don't buy the vengeful kitchen boy explanation?"

"No. But I'll not hold that against the original investigators! They lacked knowledge of the other robberies that we have. I'd have come to the same conclusion they did if I'd been in their shoes. If that's all, Miss Wynthorpe? I'll continue to ask around but I don't have much hopes for--"

"There's been another one," Charlotte said, cutting him off.  "Another diamond theft. Two nights ago. A bracelet this time. But not an heirloom, a wedding gift."

Oakham stared across the desk at her for a few moments before abruptly sitting up, reaching for a pen and flipping open her file again. "Details?"

"Now, now, Mr Oakham. Investigations are private, remember? You wouldn't want me doing your work for you for free, wouldn't you?" Charlotte smiled sweetly at him. "But I will tell you this: he was interrupted. A ladies maid happened to enter the bedroom while he was at work. He struck her down with what she thinks was an electric torch and then finished the job, escaping through the window."