Chapter 34 | Ashes of Memories

Start from the beginning

She gulped. "S-Since Your Highness has put in such a strenuous effort to brew it for a humble maid like me, I'll do my best." She closed her eyes and poured the Prince's sobering soup down her throat. Bitterness robbed her face of colours, and she was about to spit it out when her gaze met the Prince's. Instantly, she swallowed it down until no drops were left. "Thank you, Your Highness." She handed him back the bowl, trying to hold the sarcasm from her voice.

When Prince Zhanying didn't say anything more, Jingrui got up from the bed and stretched her numbed limbs. "How did I get back to bed, Your Highness?"

Prince Zhanying placed the empty bowl down onto a table without sparing her a glance. "You walked there yourself in your drunk state."

Jingrui nodded. That was very much plausible.

She glanced at Prince Zhanying who began brewing himself tea. For some odd reason, he looked worn out. She didn't notice it when she first awoke, but now that her head was cleared, he really did look as if he had run an errand across the eight deserts ten times.

Prince Zhanying seemed to notice her staring and cleared his throat. "Do you need breakfast? I will accompany you."

Jingrui raised her brows as she eyed Prince Zhanying up and down. Was he ill, to ask to accompany her? Apart from being worn out, he did not look close to ill. So, why was he being so kind to her today?

As she pondered over his words, her stomach grumbled, voicing its answer. Warmth flushed over her cheeks, and she pressed her lips into a thin line, scoffing. "A-Actually, last night, I spent all the gold I had for the dinner that I didn't get to eat," she mumbled, fiddling with her thumbs and lowering her gaze. "I don't have the money for breakfast. . ."

"I'll pay," he said, not lifting his gaze to her.

Jingrui almost jumped at his statement. She scurried to his side as she scanned over his face, very concerned. Although he did not look ill, Jingrui was beginning to think he was. "Why are you so kind to me today?" she asked, feeling unsettled by his actions. "Did I perhaps say something to Your Highness last night while I was drunk?"

Prince Zhanying poured the tea into his cup. "You. . ." he paused and looked up at her blankly. "You don't remember?"

She shook her head. "No. . ."

"That's well." A stoic expression crept over his face almost immediately, shielding every softness in him.

Seeing that the Prince had returned to his usual self, she felt assured. Her lips curved up. "Then does the offer still stand? Breakfast with me?"

He placed his crown on his head and fixed it in place. "I can't let you wander around by yourself, causing trouble," he muttered and stood up, beckoning her to follow him without another word.

A bright smile filled her face as she hopped to his side.

They exited the inn and wandered into the street Jingrui had walked on countless times when she was young. She glanced at the sight, taking in the familiar faces of fishmongers, weavers, and other purveyors as they haggled with their customers. The place used to submerge her in fear, and for centuries, she had been having recurring nightmares of this town. Her heart would weigh down even at the thought of stepping upon the pebbles that lined the path.

She let out a soft sigh and lifted her face towards the sky. The blinding morning sun shone through the clouds and grazed against her face. And for some reason, she didn't find the need to lower her chin anymore. Within the town cast by dazzling beams, no shadow cloaked over her heart and no fear gnawed her bones. It was as if she had finally let go—as if she had finally forgiven and released the grudge that veiled her heart with darkness. A smile came over her lips as she breathed in the fresh spring air.

Bathing within the sun, all her fear was washed away, and her past became engraved as a mere memory.

As Jingrui walked past the overly familiar brothel, her jaw dropped. It seemed someone wanted to help destroy her past for her. The brothel which once flared with colourful lights was annihilated. Broken down pieces of wood strayed across the street, sizzling in flame.

Jingrui turned to the neighbouring grandmother, her eyes wide in awe. "What happened here, Granny?"

The grandmother clasped her hands together as she held them towards the sky. "God has decided to punish evil, my dear. The owner of this long running business had gone bankrupt, and all the prostitutes were freed."

Jingrui didn't know how to reply. She gulped. "But the brothel was standing fine just yesterday. . ."

At her words, the grandmother's eyes were filled with overwhelmed admiration. "We were blessed last night. A Silver Dragon appeared before us. He flew down from the sky and caused the destruction of only the brothel. This is heaven's will. It's heaven's will!"

Jingrui stepped back from the grandmother and narrowed her eyes at Prince Zhanying. Although she didn't know what Prince Zhanying's true form was, he was the only high deity around here capable of transforming.

But then again, what reason would he have to cause such destruction within the mortal realm? Taking one's true form required strenuous effort. One could even die transforming if they were weak or ill. There was no way Prince Zhanying would waste his cultivation to banish the brothel that stood unrelated to him.

The Prince walked aloof without sparing a glance at the torn brothel, pretending that he didn't see. Jingrui couldn't blame him, he really couldn't see. With that, she shook off all the possible thoughts that he had caused the destruction and ran to catch up to him with a wide smile.

━━━━━━━━━━━━

WANE | 屠梦之渊 Floating Abyss Palace Arc