"Overwhelmed yet?" Stilinski asked, leaning against the car beside him.

"I just had a confirmation about Beacon Hills I suspected for a while. The fact that we have werewolves and Valkyries and Banshees running around... Takes a little bit to really sink in."

"Yeah. When we were having the sting of murders last year, I was at the end of my rope. It was after Tara died. Stiles comes to me with Derek's sister, Cora, telling me there was something he needed to tell me. He used a chessboard to try to explain. I think Cora came along to help Stiles convince me that everything he was saying was the truth. I really hadn't believed a word that came out of his mouth since he started talking."

Parrish chuckled.

"So you can imagine what was going through my head. I think Cora was going to shift to show me that werewolves were real, but she fainted and we ended up taking her to the hospital. And trust me werewolves and hospitals don't really go together."

"I'm sure."

"Stiles was still trying his hardest to convince me that everything he said was true. I didn't believe him. I thought it was just too far-fetched. Stiles and Cora had told me that the killer was a dark Druid. They called it a Darach, but they didn't know who it was. But they did tell me their theory that the Darach had been attacked and left for dead. I will admit I yelled at Stiles about him wasting my time. He used his mother against me."

"What did he say?"

"'Mom would have believed me.' I knew I had to look into what he and Cora had told me. Melissa helped me find what I was looking for. About this time, I had a call at the school about one of the teachers being killed by a snapping piano string. I don't know how I ended up in the classroom in time to save Lydia, but I found out that night that everything Stiles had said was true. Especially when Scott showed up all wolfed out."

"Wolfed out?"

"It's what Stiles likes to call it when the wolves do a full transformation."

"Oh. Has Scott always been an Alpha?"

"No. The first time I saw him in his wolf form he was what they call a Beta. He had golden eyes. I was told that Scott's the rarest of werewolves, a True Alpha."

"How rare are they?"

"Once in a century rare. Deaton explained that a True Alpha is a Beta that rises to Alpha by his character, morality, and sheer willpower. Derek was there that night and witnessed the whole thing. The Darach, a woman named Julia Baccardi, who was going by the alias of Jennifer Blake, had used the ash of a tree called Mountain Ash to protect herself from the werewolves."

"Wait, Jennifer Blake? The teacher that went missing? And why Mountain Ash?"

"Yeah, turned out she had been left for dead by one of the Alphas in this pack of Alphas and she was sacrificing people to gain power so she could destroy them."

"How does that work?"

"What?"

"A pack of Alphas."

"No idea. Ethan might know. He was a part of it. As for the Mountain Ash, most supernatural creatures can't cross it. It's like a barrier of some kind. I think Lydia is the only creature that can."

"So what is Lydia?"

"Stiles says she's a Banshee. She can sense when someone is about to die. She was perfectly normal until Peter bit her. Stiles said his bite didn't turn her, but it didn't kill her. They thought she was just immune to the bite but it seemed to have triggered her Banshee abilities."