20

pie keeps spending her nights in kim's apartment, except for when she's working night shift. she usually goes there when she's sure katrien's asleep and they will get up in the wee hours of the morning so pie can come home for her daughter while kim drives back to the city for her work.

the agreed set up seems to work for them, at least during the first few weeks. but it starts getting harder after a little while.

there are many reasons, most often because of kim's busy schedule where she's forced to stay in the city. problem is, when she could finally get time for herself, it's pie who isn't available.

"i'm sorry, kim. i can't come tonight. katie's running with a fever and i don't want to leave her alone with mom."

kim's out in the hallway of her apartment for better reception. her mood drops after hearing pie's voice on the other line.

"it's okay. katie's condition is way more important," she says. "if anything urgent comes up, call me, okay?"

"i will." she hears pie sighs. "i miss you."

"i miss you too. but don't worry, we'll catch up once katie's feeling better."

"thank you. thanks for understanding. by the way, i still need to check her temperature. speak soon. i love you."

"i love you too." the next thing kim hears is a dead line.

"trouble in paradise?"

kim turns and and sees dee. "hey. just got back from work?"

"yup. how are you? why do you look like you've been robbed off sex?"

kim laughs.

dee stands beside kim, her door keys rattling in her hands. "let me guess, she ain't coming tonight, is she?"

kim shakes her head. "katie's sick."

"oh. poor kid. i hope it's nothing serious."

"just some fever. but since pie's a nurse, she's doing the nursing thing to the maximum level."

dee smirks and looks down at the parking lot. "can't compete with the child, eh? i think that was the reason my step-dad resented me. i was a sickly kid. and whenever i am down, i am always mom's priority, not him."

kim let's out a small smile. "it's fine. i love the kid too."

"i'm sorry. i didn't mean for it to sound negative."

"don't worry." kim waves a hand quickly. "it's just that spending quality time together has been hard these past few days. my schedule got hectic and i sometimes need to stay in the city for a night or two if there are urgent matters i need to attend to. and pie, well, we can't see each other if she's with katie. i don't want to start any issue between them. but i miss her so much now." she exhales.

"i'm sure pie misses you too in the same way. if not, even more," dee says. "she's really head-over-heels for you. you're one lucky doofus."

kim smiles when dee playfully punches her. "how about you, how are you?"

"fine. the salary you're giving me from the foundation really helps. i have declined some private massage clients."

"that's good to hear. still saving up to pay off your step-dad?"

dee nods. "i called my mom yesterday. she says there's no need for me to pay him. but i still want to. and she's happy when i told her about the foundation. thanks to you."

"wouldn't have done it without you." kim taps dee. "i should be the one thanking you."

dee smiles. "care for a beer?"