The Age of Steel

I ran with heart pounding in my throat. My hand reached inside my coat pocket and searched for the sonic screwdriver. My fingers wrapped around the handle of the screwdriver as the voice of the Cybermen reached my ears. The voice gave me the creeps, almost as much as the Daleks.

The Cybermen moved forward, hand outstretched to the group. The Doctor took a few steps back, not wanting to be caught by the metal hands.

I held my screwdriver up in the air, pointed towards the Cybermen and thought about what I wanted to do with the mechanical side of these creatures. As soon as my thumb pressed the button and the sound buzzed, the Cybermen instantly froze. And it was like Christmas, it tried to fight me, and I knew instinctively that I wasn't going to last long.

"DOCTOR!" I shouted. "The TARDIS pod! Use it against them, I can't hold much longer."

The Doctor turned to the appeal, he was surprised to see me. Was it because I was holding a sonic screwdriver and using it against the Cybermen? It doesn't matter.

I was grinding my teeth while sweat dripped from my temple. I grunted as I felt I was about to let go at any moment. My thumb was white because of the strength I was using to hold it. The sonic buzzed loudly and went high into the treble, I felt a force pushing me back that made me gasp and release my grip on the screwdriver.

The Cybermen started to move again, but only for a few seconds as the Doctor attacked the group who were blocking them with the Tardis pod. They screamed in pain as they were all disintegrated instantly. Unfortunately, the remaining Cybermen advanced and we all had to run for our lives. Mrs Moore honked her car horn to let the Doctor, Rose and her father know she was there.

I sprinted to join the group near the mansion. The Doctor caught Pete trying to get back inside and so did Rose. Knowing that the Doctor was doing a good job of convincing Rose not to go in, I jumped into the blue van as Mrs. Moore honked the horn again, complaining that it was the worst escape she had ever seen. The Doctor was the last to get in and closed the door as the van started speeding away from the Cybermen as fast as it could.

I barely had time to settle down and breathe that I was plunged into a chest and arms snaked around me in a strong hug.

"Rassilon thank you, you're all right." whispered the Doctor in my hair.

I gave him back the hug and we separated a couple of minutes later as Rose cleared her throat in a not-so-subtle way.

"I'm fine." I reassured him as I sat next to him and unfortunately in front of Rose.

"And since when do you have a sonic screwdriver?" asked the Doctor, taking the technological device in hand to look at it. " I don't remember building one for you."

"Because you didn't. It was the Tardis that gave it to me just before your regeneration."

The Doctor made an appreciation noise as he kept looking at the screwdriver from all these angles before finally giving it back to me.

"Why didn't you use it before?" asks Rose suddenly with a touch of anger in her voice.

"Because the Doctor does a very good job with his own and I don't need to get behind him." I replied, choosing to tease the Doctor instead of being angry with Rose.

I put my screwdriver inside my coat pocket to put it away before crossing my arms and leaning over to rest against the Doctor with my head against his shoulder. I began to feel sleepiness pointing up his nose and my eyes became heavy with fatigue as the hum of the engine on the road and the wheels rolling on the road lull me to sleep.

"Tired?" asked the Doctor, sliding his hand behind me to reach the top of my hip.

I could feel the Doctor's fingers gently and perhaps unconsciously caressing my hips despite my coat and clothes.