Mr Clark changed the subject, ‘What plans do you two have for today?’

Danny shrugged, ‘Not much is planned, I was thinking we can take Buddy for a walk, but that’s about it.’

They made small talk for the rest of the meal. Danny kept glancing at him strangely. Asher wasn’t sure what to make of that.

‘Do you want us to help you clean up?’ Asher asked as they stood up from the table.

Danny’s father shook his head, ‘I’ll deal with the kitchen.’

‘Thank-you,’ Danny said.

They dropped their plates off at the kitchen and made their way up the stairs in silence. There had never been any awkwardness between them before and Asher wasn’t sure how to handle it. Danny and he were open and happy and strong, yet Danny wanted answers, he could see it in his eyes, but most of all, Danny was worried and that was what hurt.

Asher expected to be bombarded with worry filled questions the moment that they were alone but all that Danny did was take off his shirt. Asher looked at his boyfriend in confusion, ‘What are you doing?’

‘Getting changed,’ Danny shrugged. He changed into denim shorts and a white shirt, looking over at Asher. ‘Want to walk Buddy with me?’

Asher nodded.

Danny leant over and kissed Asher’s cheek sweetly, ‘I’ll go put him on his leash and meet you outside.’

Asher changed his clothing and grabbed his phone off the table, checking his messages. He had a few from his friends asking him how his weekend was but it was empty other than that. He didn’t mind since the only person that he really cared about who would message him was waiting for him outside.

He went back downstairs and found Danny standing on the driveway with a black leash wrapped around his wrist, a very excited looking dog at the other end.

‘Ready for a walk, Buddy?’ he asked, petting his fur.

They walked down the street, their footsteps matching as they wondered down the footpath. It was strangely peaceful and Asher wondered if this was what they would do every day when they lived together. Would they walk down to some lake somewhere and skim rocks over the water? Would Buddy come with them? He looked down at the happy dog, knowing that Danny would probably die before leaving his faithful companion behind.

Asher didn’t know where they were walking to but Danny led the way. They reached what seemed to be a walking trail, where the busy streets dissolved into tree’s and grass. A cleared walkway through the forestry stood before them and Buddy ran headfirst into it.

‘How come we haven’t walked this track before?’ Asher asked as they made their way between the trees. They were walking on an incline, the ground sloping upwards with steps made of rocks every fifteen feet or so.

‘I don’t come here often,’ Danny shrugged, ‘but the view at the end is really pretty. It’s like seeing the area new for the first time, even though I’ve lived here my whole life. You can see out over the rest of the area. The houses, the tiny people, the mountains in the distance. It’s beautiful. You’ll love it.’

‘I doubt I will see anything as beautiful as you for the rest of my life. You can try to impress me with the view, but you will fail.’

Danny smiled that gorgeous smile at Asher. Just like that, he knew that things between them would always be okay and he understood the feeling that Danny had been saying before. No matter how many times he saw that smile, the way that his cheeks dimpled and his eyes lit up, it always felt as good as the first. It felt like discovering the unknown and watching a sunset from a distance and it stirred something deep in his heart.