{19}

It was rare that Asher was up in time to see the sunrise. He supposed it was a pretty sight, the way the orange glow caressed the hard edges of the houses around him. It was a little cold at this hour and the light breeze was messing his hair up a little around his face. He pushed it back away from his eyes and looked down at the phone in his hand.

I'm here. — Asher

He leant up against one of the pillars of the front porch while he waited. His phone beeped a few seconds later. He knew that texting was a better idea so that he wouldn't wake up the rest of Jess's household if he rang the doorbell.

I'm coming down. — Jess  

Nervous feelings flooded his stomach like butterflies and made him feel uneasy. He pondered the idea of just running from her porch and back to his car where he could drive into the distance. He knew better than that though, he knew that he needed Jess's help and there was no way that he was going to get it if he didn't tell her the truth. She was the only one who could help him. She was the only one that he could trust.

Soon enough the front door to the small suburban house was opening and Jess stepped out. She was in her pyjamas, pink with white poka dots, and her hair was in a messy bun that seemed quite close to just sliding off of her head.

'Hey,' Asher smiled weakly, his voice low.

'Why do you need to talk to me at five in the morning?' she asked. She didn't seem exasperated, more concerned. She pushed back the hairs which had strayed from the weakly constructed bun, 'I've been worried all night.'

'I just really need to talk to you,' he told her vaguely. 'I didn't mean to make you worry.'

She shrugged, 'Calling me late at night and asking to see me at dawn is enough to make me think something is wrong. Anyway, come around back. We can sit down.'

Jess led them around the side of the house to the back. A small but neat yard was surrounded by short fences. Close to the house sat two chairs and a square table which faced the yard. Jess sat down in one of them and motioned for Asher to join her.

Jess pulled her legs up under her and pointed her attention at Asher as soon as he sat down, 'What's wrong?' she asked carefully. 'Are you in some sort of trouble?'

Asher shrugged, 'Sort of. I need your help.'

She nodded without missing a beat, 'Anything.'

That surprised Asher. He knew that Jess was a good person but it surprised him a little to see how far she would go for him. 'Before I tell you what I need your help with, I need to come clean to you about something first.'

She had worry in her eyes but she kept her expression neutral. 'Okay.'

He knew that Jess was sweet and kind and that she would never be like Maisy but there was this little part of him that worried what she would think of him after this. He was a liar, but worst of all, he had a boyfriend. He had deceived his entire school and Jess was about to find out. He hoped that she wouldn't hate him after this.

He struggled to find the words. He opened and closed his mouth a few times, looking very much like a fish out of water.

'Tell me,' Jess said, the worry slowly bleeding into her features. 'I'm not going to be angry. Whatever it is, just tell me.'

'I have a boyfriend,' he said so fast that it sounded like one, almost incomprehensible word.

'You have a what?' Jess leaned forwards in her seat.

The words were finally making their way to Asher's mouth. 'I have a boyfriend, his name is Danny. We have been dating for a few years and I never told anyone at school. I pretended to be straight but it was only because I know how people who are different are treated at school. I couldn't just invite people to bully me so I just pretended to be straight.'