Chapter Two

The first time Miss Emily had approached me to talk about the Cicaro program, I completely shunned the idea.

She explained It was a new project she was working on with her husband to help young girls like me with Androphobia by making us understand we could trust the opposite gender once more.

I agreed eventually but was still hesitant about it. Now after listening to everything the other girls had to say, all I could think of was how it seemed like I got easy way out. I mean the girl with a buzz cut was literally molested by her father and nothing was done about it.

I couldn't help but be sympathetic with the whole lot of them.

"That's a wrap girls, the next session is thursday, please don't be late, we'll be trying something different, okay?" Miss Emily gives us all questioning looks.

A lot of people nod their heads and I just remain in my seat biting my nails, a really bad habit I had developed around the summer.

"I'm just going to leave now and you can stay back, socialize, or leave if you don't feel comfortable enough."

I obviously choose the latter and exit the room immediately Miss Emily walks out.

The tap of my shoes fill the corridor and I hear the echoes of other groups having what seems like intense conversations. The clutter of falling chairs stops me and curiosity makes me turn towards the direction of the noise.

After a few steps, I'm standing in front of a worn out metal blue door, more screeches fill my ears and I see my hand reaching out towards the door knob.

"Iris," A voice drags me back to reality.

I look up to read the name Amica written boldly on the door before turning my head to face the weird looking girl from my therapy group. Trailing my eyes down, I notice my bag in her hand.

"Yeah you left your bag," she says following the trail of my eyes,"I thought you had already left, I would've taken it home and kept it for you but since you're here..," she shoves the bag into my hand.

"Thanks, umm.." I trail, I completely forgot her name.

"Lily," she butts in and moves to give me a hand shake which I reciprocate before moving away not really wanting to start a conversation with someone I just met.

"See you Thursday Iris," her loud voice booms as exit the building.

As soon as I step out I see my mom's black Mercedes parked in front of the building.

"How was it, do you feel better, any progress?" She looks at me warmly. It was almost like she couldn't wait for me to just get over it, have a normal child again.

I take a seat in the car and buckle up before I reply, "It was cool I guess, we just talked and did introductions today."

"Made any new friends?" She questions putting the car in reverse, she starts driving. I was sick and tired of how she always treated me like something fragile even though I technically am.

"Just this weird girl, Lily, but I wouldn't call her my friend, she's too bubbly," I reply huffing.

"It's okay hun, it's only the first day, it'll get better."

The rest half of the ride home is filled with me singing quietly to my favorite country music and my mom quietly hmming along.

The car screeches to a stop and I get down expecting my mom to get down with me but instead she puts the cars gears in reverse and sends me a tired smile.

And then I notice her buttoned up black suit paired up with a black skirt. I might be an only child but I didn't get half the attention my parents jobs got from them but I understood.