Chapter 34 ll Everything is just so much better because of him.

Start from the beginning

"Okay, let's go now!"

I drag Chris along with me as I scurry to the store.

"I'll see you here, at the entrance, after an hour. Okay?"

"Okay."

-

Ah. It's been too long since I've been to a bookstore. The last time I've been to one was before I moved here, and that's like ages ago. I used to visit the bookstore almost every single day, since, there wasn't anything else for me to do at home once I've finished my homework. There's tranquility in there, which is a huge plus. It just feels so homelike.

I venture from one aisle to another. Chris don't exactly read in his free times, how am I going to do this?

-

My lips are in a full-blown grin as I exit the place. It's nice to know of a bookstore that's opened for 24 hours. I lean against the glass, fiddling with the 'open' tag hanging on the doors as I wait for Chris.

My phone buzzes in my pocket. Oh, a message from mother.

*Zoey. Your father will be meeting us at the restaurant that's a mile away from our home. See you tomorrow at 10. Be there punctually.*

A frown of puzzlement and disdain dons my face. She sounds so formal and . . . unhappy.

Quickly, I text back.

*Wait, you're tagging along tomorrow?*

She was so angry this morning when we had the conversation. And you can clearly tell that she dislikes, or even abhors him, by the way she spoke of him. So, why is she joining us?

My phone screen lights up.

*I'm not 'tagging along'. I'm going with you to see what he is up to. I'm not going to let him brainwash you into doing something stupid.*

I gasp inaudibly in disbelief. Is that how she sees this? That's not going to happen.  And I always thought she's a lucid person most of the times.

*Mom, please. He's not going to do anything. Please.*

My heart trembles a little as I send the message. I let out a sigh before shoving the phone back into my pocket. At this very precise moment, Chris steps out of the store, looking all happy and carefree.

After talking and brooding about the not-so-appealing topic about my parents, having Chris with me is like a whole new dimension that I've step into. Everything is just so much better because of him. I grin at him, as I deftly hide the book behind me.

"Hi."

"Hi."

We're both grinning like crazy and I think it's probably because we're both crazy about each other.

Just seeing him standing in front of me, makes me happy. We're not even touching or talking. If this isn't some sort of real life fairy-tale that's most probably wrongly bestowed to me, I don't know what is.

"What did you get for me?" I ask curiously. Chris shakes his head.

"Nuh uh, we'll do the exchange tomorrow. Let's head back home first. Are you hungry?"

"Yeah, a little."

"Alright. What do you want to eat?"

"I want egg benedicts."

"At this time of the day?"

"Yes."

"As you wish, then. Let's go to the supermarket to buy some ingredients."