Chapter 19 ll "Hey you stole my line, you're the pain in my ass."

Zoey's POV

It has become my mission for the past few days to find out if my feelings for Chris is real or not. I've tried meditating to first clear my mind from all those images of him, then, it would all go downhill once I think of his scowl. That scowl! Why does it seem more attractive than his smile? Next, I tried to think, while burying myself into a the bathtub with warm water. I even added six precious drops of my expensive chamomile fragrance oil into it. The smell itself made my head feel better from all the thinking.

And now, if you peek through my window, you'll find me sitting at one of the corners in the room, just staring into the air. I'm trying my very best to think, okay. What is there to think anyway? I've been about the same things again and again, and it always ends up with me either grinning or getting that tingling feeling.

I need therapy, thinking about that idiot is making me crazy.

Okay, it's final, I like him!

Thrice I've said it, but each time, my heart finds some stupid, yet rational reasons to convince me that I don't.

Very hastily, I stand up, put on a gray sweater and jog my way over to Chris' house.

As soon as I reach it, I pound on the wood furiously, not giving myself any chance to back out. I'm going to tell him, alright!

"Ah, shit! Who the hell?" I hear soft curses coming from behind the door, then plates and bowls clattering noisily. "Shit me," someone mutters, probably Chris. Then, sounds of heavy footsteps reach the door.

"Which assh- Oh, Zoey?" Chris is scowling when he opens the door, oh that scowl, but it immediately turns into a look of confusion after our eyes meet.

"Hi, Chris."

"Hi. Why are you here?"

My mouth dries. Shit, why am I here?

"I want to tell you something."

"Yes?" he turns around for a moment and does a 45 degree bend to fetch a bowl. A  bowl of macaroni and cheese. And no, I'm not distracted by the way his muscles flex.

He turns back to me, grinning, yet looking at me earnestly. The way he is shoving the cheesy goodness into his mouth is distracting, yet comical. His eyes widen whenever he opens his mouth wide for a the spoon. He chews way too loudly for his own good.

"Will you stop eating and listen to me!"

The food he is about to deliver into his giant mouth stops mid air, his mouth hangs open.

"Thank you." I clear my throat, then I remember my purpose to be here. Oh no, I don't dare to. I feel my stomach lurching, what do I say?

"Woman, talk, I need food," he interrupts, his eyes start to fill with irritation.

"I'm hungry too, give me some of that." I snatch over the spoon that still has a mountain of macaroni and cheese on it, and shoves it into my mouth.

Heaven.

I'm teleporting to heaven.

Don't talk to me, I'm in heaven.

My eyelids flutter close in a very dramatic way and I swallow. I open my eyes gently, grinning. I start to jump.

"Oh my god. Holy holy holy god. That was so so good!"

Amusement and humour, the frequent combination, dance in his eyes. He's grinning.

"Thanks woman, now what do you want?"

"That." I point to the bowl.

"No!"