Chapter 38 ll 'Oh my god, the stars are so beautiful.'

Zoey's POV

There are times when I really feel sad that my dad is no longer a part of my life.

For an instance, right now, I'm reading this book talking about this boy that comes from a rich family and he's playing truant by dragging his sister along with him to move out of the house.

To say I'm annoyed with the character is an understatement.

It's not like I'm always this sensitive to stuff like this, but I don't get why can't the boy be more aware of his parents' love for him. I can't even get my mom to come home from work early.

Last time, I could still have a courteous and at times, heartwarming conversation with her. But that almost seems impossible for us to achieve now. Either she comes home really late, or I'll be at Chris' place. Plus the fact that we haven't exactly been on good terms since the time we met my father.

I've been trying to distance myself from her so that I wouldn't reveal anything about what Father told me. I'm at a loss for what to do, on one hand, I want her to be safe, and on the other, what's going on between us doesn't seems nice and mind you, I can't just tolerate someone who doesn't care much about me.

Chris has been nothing but understanding when it comes to this. He tries to make things sound casual so that I wouldn't be so caught up with the issues. Sometimes I really wonder if a boyfriend is supposed to impact his girlfriend this much.

Chris works magic, he can make me so angry and the next minute, I'll be smiling because I know I can never stay angry with him for too long. Maybe it's not magic, maybe he worked some wizardry on us.

I walk out of Chris' room, he's scribbling furiously on the coffee table in front of the couch. He's rushing through a graded test that is supposed to be handed up tomorrow. Our notes are scattered all over the table messily.

Chris' back is facing towards me, so I know he isn't aware of my presence yet. And what else is a better plan to show your affection to your boyfriend other than scaring him from the back?

I make my way to Chris as quietly as possible. I grin in glee as I near him.

"Boo!"

I scream as I grab onto Chris' shoulders and bounce on my feet. Chris laughs straight in my face, his breathing coming out in gasps and his laughter loud.

"I was supposed to scare you!" I kick his shin.

Chris sobers up slightly, "You were walking so loudly, idiot."

"I didn't make a single sound!"

"Whatever makes you happy."

I half-smirk, half-grin at him, "You make me happy."

He mimics my grin, but then continues, "Oh my, you're so cheesy!"

I roll my eyes at him, still smiling. I remove my hands from his shoulders and plop down, cross-legged on the floor. I skim through what Chris had written.

"Are you almost done with your work?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, I'll get some drinks for you."

"Thanks."

Chris pulls me up from the floor, I enter the kitchen to retrieve the drinks.

All of a sudden, I don't know why, I thought about how Chris is always the one bringing me out on dates and I have never done so for him since we've started dating.

Unless you count in the times when I arrange for us to do pair assignments together.

I grab the can of soda from the fridge and stand there, staring into the space, thinking.