06 | orientation and pinochle

Start from the beginning

Her attention was diverted from the conversation as she heard Percy stir. He blinked a few times as his eyes adjusted to the blazing summer sun while Y/N hopped down from the banister but waited for Percy to say something first, letting him gather his bearings first. He swallowed dryly before glancing at the glass of nectar on the side table.

Percy reached for the glass and underestimated his state and nearly dropped the cup. With lightning reflexes, Y/N leaned forward, catching the glass over his hand.

"Careful," she said softly.

He glanced up at her with those familiar sea-green eyes, but he didn't say anything. His eyes searched hers, asking her a silent question. Is this real?

"You saved my life," Grover said. "I... well, the least I could do... I went back to the hill. I thought you might want this."

Y/N quickly dropped her hand from atop his and stepped back as Grover placed a shoe box into Percy's lap. Percy looked a bit sick, like he already knew what was in the box.

Slowly, he opened it and stared at the black and white horn inside. The tip of it was stained with dried blood. Y/N wasn't sure if they should've given it to him so soon.

"It's a spoil of war." Y/N took the forgotten glass from Percy and set it back down so he could examine it. "Uh, like things left behind after the monster disintegrates."

"The Minotaur," he said in reference to the said monster.

Grover tensed nervously. "Um, Percy, it isn't a good idea—"

"That's what they call him in the Greek myths, isn't it?" Y/N could tell Percy was getting frustrated as he demanded, "The Minotaur. Half man, half bull."

"Percy, you've been out for two days," she tried to move the conversation. "How much do you remember?"

"My mom. Is she really..."

He looked past the both of them at the beautiful scenery before him. The grass was a healthy green with little flowers, and spread across the valley were acres of sugary strawberries. The world was bathed in a hazy sunlight, bringing out the vibrant colors. It was beautiful, and Percy was upset. The world shouldn't look this lovely without his mother in it.

Y/N wasn't sure how to handle his question. She shifted uneasily. She'd never been comfortable with death. The other immortal beings seemed quite used to the idea that everything around them was impermanent but not Y/N. It only made her scared.

"I'm sorry," Grover sniffled. "I'm a failure. I'm—I'm the worst satyr in the world."

"Hey, now—" Y/N began, trying to stop him from beating himself up.

He stomped his foot against the wooden porch, causing his shoe to come off, exposing his hoofed foot. "Oh, Styx!"

Grover fumbled with the styrofoam that kept his hoof in place as he shoved his foot back into the shoe.

"It wasn't your fault," Percy answered genuinely.

"Yes, it was," Grover lowered his head. "I was supposed to protect you."

"Did my mother ask you to protect me?"

"No, but that's my job. I'm a keeper. At least... I was."

"We can fix this," Y/N interjected, confidently.

He looked at her with sad eyes. "How though?"

For a moment, she considered pulling the I-have-some-pretty-important-connections card just for him, but she knew better at the moment.