Two - Confusion

Where was he?

     Singa was seated on a white, comfy bed, its' covers draped over his legs. Singa glanced around the room he was in.

     It was a small apartment, unlike the huge mansion that he owned. A luggage in one corner, a wardrobe in another, and a table which faced a window.

     It was Singa's apartment.

     Singa slid off his bed.

     'So it was all a dream?'

     He glanced around. Everything seemed normal, other than his mind being a bit fuzzy. 

     Glancing up, he realized that his air-con was on. He shut it off hurriedly

     'What now?'

     Singa sat on the edge of his bed. Light was streaming through the translucent blinds of his window, making his apartment rather serene. He could hear the busy traffic outside, probably because it was lunchtime.

     'What time is it?'

     Singa stood up and opened the blinds

     He could see the busy street outside as other countryhumans strolled along sidewalks, greeted their friends, drove their vehicles, and continued with their daily routine.

     Singa had sudden flashbacks to the time he and the ASEAN family spent time together, fooling around, being chaotic...

     It was perfect.

     Where did it go wrong?

     He wanted to know.

     Just then, his stomach growled.

     'I should get some food.'

**********

     "One grilled cheese sandwich, please." Singa told the cashier. The unrecognizable country nodded and pulled out the ready-made, toasted sandwich and handed it to Singa. He paid for the food and was about to head for an empty seat when a familiar striped country caught his eye.

     Malaysia?

     But Vietnam, Vietnam said...

     Singa shook his head. That incident was a dream.

     But it seemed so real...

     Singa watched Malay slurp up his laksa heartily. Singa expected to see Indonesia or Philippines somewhere nearby, but the two other countries were nowhere to be seen.

     Singa strode over to Malay. His half brother looked up.

     "Hi, Singa." Malay said with a grin "How's life alone?"

     "I-It's okay..." Singa mumbled, sitting down opposite Malay. He glanced at a clock which hung from a wall.

     12:53 p.m.

     "Uh...what is the date?" Singa prompted Malay.

     "Hm?" Malay blinked. "27th May."

     Singa nodded, trying to hide his confusion.

     He had written a note and placed it on his desk before he had left for the beach.

     On it, he wrote his will, and what would happen to his merlion, Zhiwei.

     At the bottom. he signed his name, then wrote the date that day.

     18/6

     "But it was a dream..." Singa muttered, then shook his head.

     He kept getting his dreams mixed with reality. Was this a sign? Did it mean anything? Singa wished he never had that dream. If he didn't, he wouldn't be in such a mess.

     Or was this a dream? Was his whole life a dream?

     If he had jumped off yesterday, or on the 18th of June, he would have died, or at least hospitalized for awhile.

     But here he was.

     Or was he dead?

     And if he was, why would he go back to 27th May?

     He didn't remember meeting Malay on this date. 

     But he couldn't trust his own memory at this point of time.

     Cursed memory....

     "Yo, Singa, what are you staring at?" Malay prompted, making Singa jump.

     "Nothing..." Singa replied, regaining his composure. He opened the wrapper of his sandwich and took a bite.

     "Woah, you're so confused today." Malay scoffed. "Usually so focused and serious, the one to tell people to be serious, and-"

     "Shut. Up." Singa growled

     "O-Ok." Malay looked back down at his food.

     There was a minute of silence, before Malay spoke.

     "Are you really gonna move further away?"

     Singa looked at Malay, shock in his eyes.

     Malay seemed to be trying his best to hide his hurt. He watched his half-brother with wide eyes.

     "When did I say that?" Singa said slowly, trying not to sound like he was challenging Malay.

     "You emailed Brunei, asking her if she wanted to come with you." Malay said, unable to hide his hurt anymore. Malay looked down at his lap.

     Singa's heart ached with affection for his half-brother. Sure, Singa got annoyed by the ASEAN family's rowdiness at times, but he loved all his family members.  

     Singa finished his sandwich in a few hasty bites.

     "Only a sandwich for lunch?" Malay seemed shocked

     "I have a small appetite today." Singa said.

     "I suppose." Malay shrugged.

     "I'm gonna grab some stuff at the grocery store. Wanna come?" Singa asked, deciding in his head that he would go on with the day as per usual.

     "No thanks." Malay said. "I have places to be."

     "Oh." Singa nodded. "See you around, then."

     "Bye." Malay said, a tint of coldness to his voice. He got up and strode off.

      Singa sighed.

      He walked out of the café and headed for his car. He got into it, started it, and drove off.

     Singa turned into a narrow road flanked by closed stores. He knew that some countries liked to hang out here at night, but now that it was day, he could drive along here with ease-

     SMASH!

     Singa's car screeched to a halt. His windscreen cracked. Singa gasped from the impact of the sudden break.

     Singa looked up.

     No...

     It was a familiar figure.

     A familiar figure covered in blood.

     T-Thai?