first time // everyone but

warnings : angst

summary : reader has feelings for tom .. but does he have them too?

word count : 2300

note : this is to take place as if the covid-19 was not currently happening (sorry, its hard to adjust writing to fit quarantine)

a/n :  i couldnt pick a title for this, so i chose two ! also - ive had a lot of requests for a part two of "why?" let me know it you're interested in it :)

Y/N has lived with the boys since when they first got the house; she was the lifeline of it all. She kept the fridge stocked, the rooms clean, and the laundry folded. She made sure the garden was tended to and she did it all without complaints, without being asked. 

She was quiet, and shy. Harrison knew her well enough to know that she had strong feelings for Tom, feelings that outgrew being just friends. The truth was, she was probably in love with Tom. She would never admit it because she hadn't come to that realization; loving someone was one thing, but being in love with someone who didn't even know about their feelings? That was a whole new playing field. 

Although Harry and Harrison and Sam and even her best friend tried to convince her to talk to Tom about it, Y/N was dead certain on keeping her mouth shut. Tom would never like her back, he was out of her league. She was almost certain that if he were to date anyone, it would be someone in Hollywood, who was all kinds of gorgeous and stunning -- everything Y/N wasn't. At least, she wasn't those things in her mind. She knew Tom had a type, and she did not fall in the category he was interested in. So, she settled on staying his best friend; watching from the sidelines like the side character she was. 

But this wasn't a way to live: harboring feelings for a man she lived with. Granted, everyone had their own rooms, but they spent so much time together that it was almost inevitable to catch feelings. Once, for a split second, Y/N had a sliver of hope that Tom did like her back, that her feelings weren't one sided. He seemed to enjoy flirting with her, lending her his hoodies and spending countless nights watching movies together. She pondered the thought for only a second, reasoning that maybe Tom didn't even know that the feelings he was feeling for her was love, but all thoughts of that were disposed of immediately, despite what everyone was telling her. That is, everyone but Tom. 

Y/N wasn't good with feelings; she wasn't good at saying what she wanted or how she was feeling, so admitting anything would take great courage. It was like that growing up: she just never felt the need to say anything that went through her head, feeling so insignificant that it would make no difference if she did speak up. 

They were in Y/N's room. What started out as a small movie marathon with Harry turned into a movie night with Tuwaine, Tom, and Harrison joining them. Tom had gone to get refreshments, leaving the group to, once again, talk about Y/N and her feelings for Tom.

"Y/N," Harrison started. "It's not a crime to like somebody."

"I know," she said quietly.

"So why don't you tell him?" Harry said.

"Because I don't want to . I know he doesn't like me back, so what's the point?" She reasoned quietly, softly, almost as if she had accepted it and given up on the idea of being with Tom. 

"Y/N, I'm his best friend. I know him -- and he does like you back," Harrison said softly. 

"Yeah, my brother could not be more smitten for you," Harry added.