Chapter 18

There comes a time when silence is betrayal.
– Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Relax Dakota, it could be coincident," I heard Dorian say as I continued staring at the car. I strained my eyes to figure out who was driving but it was almost impossible. The glasses weren't tinted nor were they clear enough to see through. Could it be Adams? No, it's not his style. It could be one of his people though.

"Hey, Hey, Dakota you're trembling, look at me," I felt Dorian's warm hands turning my face to meet him. I didn't even realize I was trembling.

"I saw that car in front of my apartment last week, and earlier this week and I could have sworn it was monitoring me, I'm not crazy," I stuttered and his eyes softened. He craned his neck looking at the road.

"Is it the Honda? That silver car?" He asked and I was impressed that he hadn't even look in the direction of the car.

"No, the red one behind it," I saw his jaw clenched.

"Okay, relax. It could be a coincidence but we'll have to confirm if its really following us. Act normal, we don't want to attract any attention," he said softly to me like he was speaking to a child and it was soothing.

"Sir is everything alright?" Theo called out from the car.

"Yes Theo, just start the car," Dorian replied in a very calm voice. He held my hands and gave it a squeeze.

"Just act normal," he said again and I nodded as I slipped into the car held opened by Dorian. Soon he was seated beside me.

"Theo, drive north I think we might have someone tailing us," he said.

"Downtown?"

"If need be," Was Dorian's only reply.

The engine purred and the car kicked into motion. I watched the street slowly skidded at my side and soon we were far away from the traffic into a free high way.

"Do you notice anything strange?" Dorian asked after five minutes of driving straight ahead. Theo looked at the side mirror.

"No sir, I've been monitoring the cars and none seemed like it's tailing," he said and Dorian turned to face me. I couldn't read the expression but I guess it was I told you so. Was I imagining things? Am I going crazy? That was the same car that appeared twice in front of my building. It couldn't have been a coincidence.

"It's a red car," I said to Theo and he glanced at the mirror again.

"I'm sorry ma'am I don't see... wait, it looks like there's a red car coming behind."

"An Audi A8?

"More like an A6, sir"

"It is an A8," Dorian replied firmly and I noticed a hint of a smile in Theo's eyes from the rear mirror. I turned to Dorian and arched an eyebrow as though saying really, you are going to do this now?

"What should I do?" Theo asked.

"Just keep going," Dorian replied and I felt his hands squeezing my mine.

My heart was thumping. I could hear it in my ears. My mind was numb, I couldn't think of anything.

Theo drove in a gentle pace like nothing was going on, I glanced behind and found the car still following.

"For how long do we have to go on like this?" I asked and no one replied.

Dorian was typing on his phone and soon he was on a call.

"Are you still at the bureau? Good, we are almost at second avenue and I want you to scan the security cameras in the area for a Red Audi A8, I'll be needing information on it later," he finished and there was silence in the car. The awareness of someone tailing us was unnerving.