Chapter 10

Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.
    -Lemony Snicket

I woke up with my shirt drenched in sweat. It was the second nightmare in one night. It wasn't a nightmare in the normal sense but it still left me gasping for air.

I was dancing in an empty ball room to a lazy classical orchestra. In real life, I barely danced but here, I was the perfect dancer.

Flashes of the girl with long coffee hair and white pixie-like gown came to my mind.

I floated around the room with an unbelievable grace, twirling and jumping with so much strength and flexibility than I could have possessed in reality.

Soon, I was no longer alone as I felt Dorian's hands on my waist in the same manner as it was last night. The
music heightened in an ominous manner and Dorian twirled me around and dipped me with grace. He looked down at me like an angel with  the light from the room illuminating his face. 

I felt his nose on mine, slowly caressing my face down to my jaw like yesterday and then he was gone, in his place a spiteful-looking Adams gazed down at me.

I switched on the light as I maneuvered my way to the kitchen for a glass of water. The cold liquid managed to calm my nerves and my heart was no longer beating erratically.

I glanced out my window to find that it was almost dawn. There was a beautiful streak of gold line on the sky and it stirred a strange feeling of nostalgia.

I lied on the floor in an attempt to perform some stretches I saw on a lifestyle magazine. Now that my couch was gone, I had enough space.

With my body crunched in a child pose, my mind was still reeling from the events of last night through this morning. There was something good about my dream. The gown.

I crawled to my drawing book and pulled out a pencil.

I found myself sketching a replica of the dress I wore. It had a low V cut for its neckline and its back with a Greek style strapless hand. My memory of the lower part was hazy but I remembered the almost real feeling of a silky-like material around my legs. I drew the edges of the dress like it was ripped off, giving it a fierce yet graceful appearance.

Looking at the barely comprehendible sketch reminded me of Dorian's face bathed with rays of sunlight.

"My angel," I whispered.

I spent the dawn sketching hazy designs of  the gown. I did a back view of the dress and a black one in contrast to it. The black dress caused me to smile as it looked like the shadow of the original one.

"Light and darkness," I muttered still looking at the drawing. Angels and demons. Dorian Kane and Jack Adams.

I did more of these designs and their corresponding shadows, sketching near my window and watching the sky slowly light up into morning and seeing the streets that seemed dead, leap to life.

I left for work with a strange anticipation building in my stomach. I couldn't say why.

I felt it all through changing into my uniform and pulling my hair up in a high ponytail.

The small card peeking through the back pocket of my jeans reminded me I had an appointment to keep today after my shift.

Laura wasn't at work yet, usually our shift coincides and only once a week do our shifts differ.

I was glad to an extent because dear Laura had a strange ability to know when something outside the ordinary happens or maybe its my expressions that gives me away.