Chapter 1.

Eight weeks ago.

One more minute inside that stupid banquet and Rachel was going to club someone over the head. Being around superficial people, listening to their exaggerated storytelling of how their children excelled in school, and hearing of their exotic vacations, irked her. Every year it was the same thing, coming from the same vain people and she wanted no part of it. Her body went into autopilot, picking up her pace as she made her way to the lobby of the banquet hall. Her red chiffon dress flowed behind her gracefully, the used but expensive heels clicking in a hurried rhythm. Rachel dug into her clutch, fishing for her phone, and checking if she'd received any missed calls.

Nothing, well, except three missed calls from Micah's friend, Keith. Probably looking for her husband. She decided she'd call him later, right after tearing him a new one.

Isabel's babysitter did leave a few text messages informing her that Isabel ate, did her homework, and went to sleep on time.

Rachel smiled, but that didn't last very long. She recalled that Isabel's babysitter had to leave at ten. Currently, it was nine twenty-two. She impatiently refreshed her messages and was annoyed that her husband hadn't texted back at all. Typical. It wouldn't be the first time, she snarled to herself. Gripping the phone in both hands, she began typing with a force that nearly broke the device.

"Where are you!? The babysitter has to leave at ten and if your ass isn't home watching Isabel, I swear to God you're not going to hear the end of it when I get back home! Call me when you're on your way home."

Sent. Rachel pushed through the double doors, feeling the cool breeze pushing against her heated frame. She dug back into her purse to search for her car keys and failed to notice the last step on the curb, completely losing her footing.

"Woah, woah, whoa!" a male's voice spoke, helping with her balance, "a-are you okay?"

Strong arms reached out and caught her just in time, but as luck would have it, the rest of her things flew out, scattering all over the pavement.

With frustration overshadowing embarrassment, Rachel quickly regained her balance, brusquely pulling her arm away from him, "yeah, I'm fine—I'm fine! No need to get handsy."

The man knelt and began collecting the items that flew out. One by one, he collected her makeup and other small contents into one hand, holding it out to her. Rachel scoffed, believing his kind gesture to be nothing significant other than being a nuisance and possibly try to get into her dress.

"I got it, Shawn, you didn't have to do that." Rachel barked, seizing the items and dumping them back in her purse.

The man named Shawn Eizen stood back up and shook his head, "Always so headstrong, aren't you?" using a mocking voice he added, "help is for the weak, God forbid that the amazing Rachel Solís asks help from anyone."

Without saying a word, she ignored his banter, turned and started walking away, making sure she had her keys in hand.

"We sure are in a hurry, aren't we?"

"Yeah, sure whatever!" She called out, her strides picked up even more, rushing to the parking lot.

"A simple thank you would've sufficed, you know!" He called out, dusting himself off. With a small sigh, he watched her form disappear into the distance. A smile crept upon his lips and he couldn't understand why he was so attracted to her. Despite her being hardheaded, there was so much to like about her that many people who know her simply shrugged the feeling off because of the way she was most of the time.