Chapter 2.

*Warning *Strong language use

Present.

Soft drops of rainwater lightly rapped onto the windshield of a used white Lexus situated in front of a warehouse in the middle of the woods. The misting air bathe the cool evening; the gentle gusts cradled heavy rainclouds, swirling grey hues in the night sky. It had been a warm, pleasant day that culminated into a tranquil night.

A relaxing night under the rain did nothing to calm an anxiety-riddled mother on the verge of stress-induced tears. Taking long breaths, something she feebly pick-up from a meditation class, she continued trembling in the driver's seat, perturbed over this whole ordeal. Her hands tensely gripped the steering wheel, nearly tearing into the stitching, occasionally glancing into the rearview mirror seeing her sleeping daughter dreaming innocently. She couldn't help but feel a tinge of jealously. How it would've been nice to live those days again. Not having to wake up into this nightmare of a life that she cannot seem to escape from.

Ignorance is bliss, as the saying goes.

Rachel then peered over to the passenger seat, staring at the contents of a spilled manila folder. The folder that could potentially end both of their lives—and Isabel's. She had thought long and hard and now, it seemed like the perfect time to—

Tap! Tap! Tap!

Rachel jumped; the sudden jolt made her gasp loud enough to stir the youth from a deep slumber. The hazy gray sky prevented her from seeing outside. All she knew was the building where she parked in front of...was where he currently is.

"...Mommy?" Who's that?" Isabel drowsily asked, rubbing her eyes of sleep.

Ignoring the inquiry from her daughter, Rachel turned the ignition key and lowered the driver's side window, letting the misty haze spill inside, revealing a tall figure cloaked in a tan rain jacket.

Knowing exactly who he was, her shoulders dropped, and rapidly blinked away oncoming tears of frustration before he saw anything. Impatient shuffling outside her window coerced Rachel to turn her head upwards, miserably looking at the other.

"...do I have to? Please, I don't wanna do this."

A cloud of warm mist in the form of a sigh escaped the lips of the other, "Rachel, c'mon. You're only making this harder than it needs to be...for no real reason."

She sat there for a moment and swiftly reached for her purse only to pull out an open carton of Virginia Slims. She pushed the door open, unfolded her broken umbrella, and stepped out onto the wet asphalt.

Hiding the carton from her daughter's view, she turned to Isabel, using the best motherly tone she had, devoid of any apparent worry.

"Stay here Izzy. I'll be right back, okay?"

"m'kay, Mommy..." Isabel yawned, stretching slightly, and dozing off once again.

Rachel focused her attention back onto the dark figure next to her, putting a cigarette in her lips, hoping that her daughter didn't see her.

"That stuff can kill you, y'know." He stated bluntly, walking away from the car.

"Can we just walk somewhere where she can't see or smell anything?"

The man rolled his eyes and strolled closer to the warehouse, fulfilling Rachel's request.

"I thought you quit." He remarked after a moment.

"I've just toned it down for Isabel. I-I prefer she not see that coming from someone she looks up to. And it would be nice if a certain someone doesn't mention anything to her."