Longing, Lusting, Loving Looks (Chapter 46.2)

Start from the beginning

The three of them take their seats and Carter leans over to me, "Did I get here in time?"

"Yes, girl, thank you so much. I just said something completely embarrassing and you got here before he could respond," I say palming myself in the forehead.

She laughs at me and rubs my arm out of pity.

With everyone finally taking their seats, including Montana and her husband, and Georgia, who were all also placed at our table. The emcee, Mrs. Matthews, begins her speech while we wait for Dakota and Maya to enter.

I couldn't pay attention to anything she was saying, however. My focus was on the words Ari had spoken: "—but ultimately, I knew he wasn't my end."

"And now introducing the newlyweds, Mr. and Mrs. Dakota and Maya Matthews!" The DJ shouted, waking me from my thoughts.

Everyone in attendance stood and applauded, hooped and hollered as Dakota and his new wife entered the room looking like the king and queen they are. I jumped up and down, screaming my head off for my best friend because of how excited I was for her and how stunning she looked. Was I embarrassing my table?

Probably.

"Mr. and Mrs. Matthews will now have their first dance as a married couple," the DJ announces.

We all watch admiringly as Maya and Dakota glide over to the dance floor and begin their slow dance which ends up turning into an upbeat fast paced choreographed dance to the saucy beats of some Afro-Latin tunes.

Once they finish their performance and the raucous applause subsides, others have the chance to join a partner on the dance floor to sway to a slower paced rnb song.

Just as I am about to sit back down to munch on more of the completed appetizers that had been brought out by the waitstaff, I feel a tap on my shoulder.

"May I have this dance?"

My head swivels to look beside me and see Ari standing next to me with his hand outstretched, but all I do is stupidly stare at it.

"Nova!" Carter hisses towards me, "Take the man's damn hand!"

"Uh right, sorry," I say shaking my head, "Sure, I'll dance with you."

I slide my hand in and intertwine my fingers with his as he leads me towards the dancefloor. I glance back over my shoulder and see my cousin with her thumbs up, grinning.

We find a spot to dance near Maya and Dakota and I notice her smiling and sticking her tongue out at me in Cardi B fashion as if to say, "YAAASSS BITCH!"

I feel as Ari's arms slide around my slim waist as he pulls me close to his chest, and I loop my arms around his neck.

"I missed being this close to you," he says while smiling.

"I missed having your arms around me," I responded, smiling back at him.

So, I guess we were just going to get right into it, no beating around the bush this time.

He looked relieved and content as he gently rested his forehead against mine, closing his eyes as I began rubbing the nape of his neck and running my fingers through the back of his hair like I used to do when I would comfort him.

We swayed like that to the smooth harmonious crooning of Sinead Harnett until I pulled my head back and observed Ari's face up close for the first time. He looked visibly older, but at the same time younger. How was that possible? He appeared to be less stressed and happier, relaxed and confident, like he recently released the burdens that plagued him for so long.