Longing, Lusting, Loving Looks (Chapter 46.2)

Start from the beginning

There was a comfortable silence that fell between us as he just stared at me like he was drinking in my appearance in case he isn't able to gaze upon me again after this day.

Ari finally gestures me to my seat, and I sit while he walks to his assigned seat two away from me.

I wonder if Maya did this on purpose. Putting Ari and I at the same table. Or was it Dakota? Or was it possibly a combined effort between the two of them as a scheme to get us back together?

"So, you here with a date?" He asks, directing his question towards me.

"My cousin Carter."

"Oh, yeah! I spotted her and Stiles talking out in the hall. That guy is a huge flirt, but I know Carter can handle her own. If I remember correctly, she is capable of totally beating his ass, but weirdly enough, I think that might actually be a huge turn on for him."

My eyes widen and we both laugh at the thought of Stiles being the submissive one between them. It totally can be envisioned. Carter would most definitely wear the pants if they were in some kind of a relationship.

"What about you? You here with a date?" I asked, attempting to hide my nervousness while waiting for the answer.

"Nah. People always make you believe you're supposed to have a date to things like this, but I preferred to go solo."

"Oh, so no significant other then, either?"

Nova! Way to be discreet you dummy!

He smirks and runs a hand through his deliciously dark mane like he knows where this line of questioning is going.

"Nah. I was dating this guy about a year ago that I met when I tried my hand at online dating. I really liked him. Hell, we were great together, but ultimately I knew that he wasn't my end."

Ari was now fully facing me, his suited elbows resting on his fitted knees and his precious hazel eyes peering at me as I discerned what he had said.

"No one for you either, huh?" He says finally.

"How dare you assume," I say joking.

"Well, if you had someone, Carter wouldn't be your date. He would."

Damnit. He was right about that.

I side-eyed him, smiling at his observation.

"You really do look gorgeous. Even in this dimly lit room I can still see just how beautiful you are."

"Alright Casanova," I say rolling my eyes, but secretly loving the compliment and trying to hide the smile forcing its way to the surface.

"I'm only stating the facts," he says throwing his hands up in surrender.

"Well, thank you. You're looking pretty handsome yourself. Hey, you have a nose ring?!" I exclaim, stunned and distracted by the gold dot on one of his nostrils that I would've missed because it mixed well with his light, honey, tanned skin.

"I do! I've had it for a couple years now. You like it?"

"I love it. It's hot," I accidentally blurt. My eyes widened and I curse myself under my breath for saying something so thirsty. But I couldn't help it. The tension was beginning to grow thick between us like a sticky, humid summer day in the South.

"There you are!" We hear a voice say beside us before he could respond.

It was Carter and Stiles. Thank goodness for them.

"Did you see the cake? It looks good as fuck!" Carter says excitedly, "Oh! Hey Arizona," she says turning to him.

"Hey Carter, how are you? I haven't seen you in so long!" He says standing and embracing her.