Step 34: Confront your past.

"Okay, let's not encourage other people to kill you, Sasuke." 

Silence answered me. 

"And hey! We already know...everything. So how about you two just reunite, huh?" 

*****

Itachi finally got the message that the jig was up. He surprisingly didn't just flee from the scene all overly dramatic. 

So because it's been a while since they spoke, the kids and I gave some space to the two brothers and just watched them at a distance. 

"I miss my brother," Shino said wistfully. 

I patted his shoulder. "Don't worry, we're gonna find your brother soon." 

"Yes, Sensei." 

During his private conversation with Sasuke, Itachi released the genjutsu on Baby, so we gathered the kid up and put Baby with Mysterious Unknown Child. Baby was fine and just tuckered out. 

Meanwhile, Hinata fetched some medical aid for Sakura and Naruto. Shino joined them and helped treat some of the worst of their injuries. 

Sakura's been dealing with wires all this time, so her hands need to be bandaged up. Naruto mostly just got thrown around, so we checked for any heavy internal bleeding. Shino did a lot of long and mid-range fighting, so his person was mostly fine. Hinata did give him some candy though, which the child then unwrapped and put it in his pants pocket. 

So things were finally, finally peaceful

*****

And like the other reoccurring jokes of my life, peace didn't last long. 

Unidentified Sibling of Baby began to choke up another lung (how many lungs does he have?) which immediately brought alarm to all of us. 

"Brother!" 

"He's turning ashen!" 

Unidentifiable Child coughed up blood. 

"That's not good!" 

"I know of a place where we can treat him," Good Intentions offered. 

"Then let's go!" Baby barreled, throwing any caution to the wind. 

*****

So we followed no-longer-dramatic Itachi through the forest. All the while, I carried Brother and felt blood and saliva drip on my right shoulder from where his head was resting. 

"Almost there, he doesn't look feverish," Itachi remarked, glancing at our patient. 

"Sakura, check the temp," I ordered, leaning down so she could reach Brother. 

"Mmmm, seems okay," she reported back. 

"There it is." Itachi led us to a small rundown town of sorts. There, he knocked on a random door, and after muttering, the door opened for us. 

I thought Itachi was bringing us to a doctor. Oh no no no! The good man himself began to diagnose Baby's brother. We waited behind a curtain as Itachi went to work. 

*****

"How is he?" Baby asked worriedly, fidgeting. 

"He's good, I gave him something to relieve the coughing. He's resting now," Itachi replied, joining us. 

"Thank you!" Baby rushed over to Brother, while the rest of us stayed behind. 

"What did you do?" Sakura asked curiously. "How did you treat him?" 

"I'm not the best at it, but if you have good Chakra control, you can master medical ninjutsu," he replied. "I can do, at best, a little minor healing." 

"Woah." Sakura stared at Brother then up at Itachi. "Can you teach me?" 

"Not now," Itachi evaded. 

"That's a pretty sick-looking cloak!" Naruto exclaimed, admiring the Akatsuki pattern. "Doesn't beat orange, but not bad!" 

Itachi chuckled. "That design tends to bring more alarm to people than reassurance." But Naruto wasn't listening. 

Shino leaned against my right side. "I want my brother..." He whined. 

Hinata leaned on my left side. "W-we'll f-find him-m-m!" 

"Yup. That's the spirit," I replied. 

"How's your eyes, by the way?" Shino asked Hinata. "Do they still hurt?" 

"N-not as m-much as b-b-before." 

"We should ask Sasuke's brother if there's anything he can recommend for your eyes," Shino mused. "Why? Because both clans have eye specialties." 

*****

As it turned out, Itachi did have something for Hinata. 

"Every twelve hours, two drops," Itachi instructed the little girl. "This is rather effective." 

"T-th-thank you!" 

Hinata acquired Prescription Eyedrops

*****

So with all the kids properly treated, Itachi turned to me. 

I have a bad feeling about this. 

"Let's talk." 

"Oh great." 

What a conversation we'll have.