Chapter 3

“You look great, by the way.” he said as we both got into his car

“Flattery will get you nowhere, Chase.” I said and he chuckled

“It’s worth a shot, right?” he said with an innocent smile, I only shook my head at him “So, are you excited for your first party?” Chase said with an excited smile as he drove us in direction of the party. Excited? Was he serious? I hadn’t been out of my house except with my parents for years, I never hung out around people because I never knew how to act around them. I stuttered like crazy or I just didn’t speak at all. And going to a major party with people who knew me as “weird girl” wasn’t exactly the scenario I pictured, and Chase wasn’t making me feel any better, he was weirdly excited, he said he would introduce me to all his friends and that I would finally learn how to “mingle” as he called it. I felt nauseous, like I could throw up at any moment. 

“As excited as a person who is socially awkward could ever get.” I muttered and he chuckled as he rested his hand on my shoulder, giving it an encouraging squeeze, I flinched slightly at his touch but he didn’t seem to notice.

“Lighten up, you’ll be fine.” he said as he smile lightly at me “You’ll have me by your side, all you have to do is say your name and follow a conversation.” he winked at me, I felt a churn in my stomach, I think I was about to throw up. 

“I don’t feel too good.” I said as I hunched over, resting my elbows on my knees as my hands rubbed my temples, I closed my eyes and tried to breathe regularly 

“Whoa, hey, are you okay?” Chase said as he pulled over, he ran to my side since I hadn’t gotten out. I glanced to my left and saw there was a huge house with people on the lawn with cups in their hands. Wasn’t underage drinking illegal? Chase opened the door for me and helped me get out, he grabbed my shoulder and lifted my chin so I could look him in the eye, his gaze was filled with worry and concern. 

“I don’t think I can do this.” I said as I tried to control my breathing, he rubbed circles on my shoulders, it was surprisingly calming “I feel faint.” I mumbled

“Look at me.” he whispered, I looked at him, he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear that had fallen onto my face “We’re going to go in, I want you to try and talk to people, don’t be shy, my friends aren’t half bad as you think they are; it’s everyone else that has a mental problem.” he spat and I smiled lightly “But if you feel anxious and you want to leave after you try, then we can go.” I nodded and he smiled “Let’s go.” he said as he extended me his arm, I linked my arm with his and we started walking towards the house, people glanced at us and whispered, I tried not to think about it too much, because of what Chase had said, if his friends were like he said, I guess I could survive one night.

“Chase!” A guy in a football jersey said from the kitchen as we entered, Chase smiled and put his hand on my back as he lead me through the kitchen, when we reached it, the guy greeted Chase with a hug and then turned to me “Who’s this?” he said as he wiggled his eyebrows at Chase, he chuckled and shook his head 

“She’s a friend.” he said, smiling at me encouragingly 

“What’s your name, beautiful?” the guy said, I felt my face heat up as he extended his hand out to me, I took it and shook it with a slight smile

“Ava.” I said softly, he smiled widely 

“Pleasure to meet you, Ava. Beautiful name by the way.” he winked and my face heated more “I’m Jason, but you can call me Jase if you like.” he said, taking a sip of his drink “Want something, man?” he said, taking a glance at Chase who shook his head