Re:CASE #004

Even in the shower, her hands were hurting. It was throbbing and painful. And they felt hot. As she let the water from the shower rain over her, she examined both of her hands, wrist-down. They were red and sore and she thought back on the events that happened in the exorcism room.

There were two times where she touched the creature: one when it was about to enter Takayama's mouth and the other was when she did the Interception spell. Other times were either her touching the bed in the room or touching her husband.

Heiwa clenched her hands into fists then continued showering, brushing off the thought about the demon they encountered. She thanked God that the creature wasn't as scary as the dead people she often encountered.

'Heiwa, I made chamomile, come down when you're done.'

Akashi's voice sounded distant as he spoke to her from outside of the bathroom.

'Okay!' she replied loudly then turned the water off.

When she was done and went down, Akashi was sitting on the sofa watching the television, with a remote in his left hand and a mug in his right hand. He heard her coming and turned his head.

'Yours is here,' he pointed to a blue mug on the coffee table between the TV and the sofa.

'Thank you,' she smiled and sat beside him, grabbing the mug as she did so. Heiwa sipped the hot tea slowly, savouring the sugarless taste.

They watched the TV for some time. A late-night variety show featuring artists and comedians from all over the world. They rarely watch television shows but that night was an exception.

Heiwa put her mug down after gulping half of it then snuggled close against Akashi's chest and he placed his arm around her shoulders.

'Senpai,' she spoke and he merely hummed in response while his fingers played with her hair. 'When I told you that I placed the creature under the glass, why did you examine my hands?'

Akashi rested his chin on her head. 'There was one time an officer had complications after touching evil souls. I was just making sure,' he replied.

'Have you guys ever encountered demons instead of souls?' she questioned.

'Of course, your dad dealt with it once or twice too.'

'He did?'

'Yes, but the cases were too small in number that we couldn't actually gather enough data to make anything: SOP or guidelines or find enough incantations.'

'Demons are less scary than dead people,' she stated in a low voice.

Akashi chuckled, 'You're lucky we met a faceless one.'

Heiwa gaped. 'They don't look the same?'

'Of course not. Just like dead people, they have variations too.'

She sighed, 'I'm so tired...'

Akashi's fingers reached for her eyes and covered them. 'Sleep, I'll bring you up when I'm done with this show,' he said.

Heiwa closed her eyes and frowned. 'You're going to continue watching that? You don't even like it,' she said groggily.

'Hm, it doesn't hurt to amuse myself with this dumb show once in a while.'

There were no responses after that; Heiwa had fallen asleep rather quickly. Akashi began brainstorming for the next day's meeting.

-

My hands are unbearably painful and my throat feels tight. I look around and only see darkness. I reach out in hope of touching a wall or something but there is just a void surrounding me. I try to walk. There is a solid ground to step on. It is worrying enough to walk with my eyes open but no vision so I just close them, walking forward and hands reaching out to anything, like a blind person without his walking stick.