Re:CASE #002

Mikage yawned. The one-hour-and-a-few-minutes flight was too long to his liking. His soft, blonde hair was tousled as he rubbed his head sleepily. He turned his phone on and notifications rushed in. There was a message from Akashi Seijuurou, the current Chief of the Supernatural Division.

'Heiwa will fetch?' he wondered to himself.

He'd given up trying to call her with her current name, Akashi Akashi. It was too confusing. Mikage neared the Arrival Gate, pulling his small luggage along. It was a one-week stay in Osaka for his privately assigned missions.

Then, right outside the entrance, he saw a familiar figure.

'Heiwa,' he called out gently.

The girl turned to him. 'Oh, Mikage!' she smiled, waving then held out her hand. 'Hand me the luggage.'

Mikage shook his head then took his backpack off his shoulder. 'If you insist, you can hold this one instead, it's much lighter.'

Heiwayuki took it obediently and placed it over her shoulders. They began walking. 'Seijuurou is waiting in the car,' she said.

Mikage nodded quietly then asked, 'How are you doing?'

Heiwa shrugged. 'Same old thing. Fine and boring.'

He chuckled, 'No interesting out-of-this-world cases yet?'

She pouted her lips and shook her head.

Mikage glanced at her a few times. He'd read the message she sent, saying she wanted to ask him something. But she didn't look like she would ask any time soon. So he halted his steps.

'Hey, I want a cup of coffee,' he said and immediately pulled Heiwa's arm towards the coffee shop they just passed by a second ago.

Heiwayuki followed suit. He made his order and they waited for the drink to be brewed, sitting near the bar counter.

'So,' began Mikage, leaning against his seat. 'You have something to ask.'

'What?'

Mikage raised his eyebrows questioningly, shrugging.

'Well...' the girl seemed uncomfortable.

'Yeah, what?'

'There was someone who has been waiting outside the HQ for a long time. He has a soul attached to him and he's afraid to come inside. I told Seijuurou that the souls following him were malicious and nothing I've ever seen,' she said. 'But then Seijuurou said he's solved cases like thi-'

'Heiwa,' Mikage interjected, frowning. 'Cut to the point.'

'Ah, sorry, I feel like I'll be intruding on your privacy if I were to ask,' she said. 'I heard you had a soul attached to you before.'

Mikage fell silent and looked away. Heiwayuki frowned slightly, knowing she had asked something sensitive.

'I'm sorry,' she shook her head. 'You don't have to tell me.'

'No, I was just remembering some things,' he replied.

The waitress arrived at their table with a tray and a cup of coffee. She carefully placed the cup in front of Mikage then left. He took a sip and exhaled sharply.

'It was my classmate, Yukio,' he began.

Heiwayuki stared at him pitifully. 'Wait, Mikage. Your face...' she stopped him. Mikage blinked, unmoving and silent. 'Let's talk about this some other time.'

'What's with my face?' he raised a brow in confusion.

'I'll wait in the car,' she said and quickly left the scene. I've never seen Mikage making that kind of face. It's sorrowful. His eyes... empty and distant.